Phone buying advice

Aug 10, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of buying a new smart phone, but due to my inexperience in the field and rather "unconventional" needs I have decided to search for advice on this forum. Below I have described what kind of phone I am looking for and other important pieces of information. I am looking for advice on buying, such as concrete models or even just links to any guidelines for choosing a phone. I thank you in advance for your replies.

I am looking for a smart phone. My budget is 250€. I am from European Union. I use the smart phone for the following activities during the day:
  • watching videos on Youtube, Udemy, any other video platform and browser (at least 1.5 h per day)
  • using the browser to find information (1 h per day average)
  • listening to music (varies; from 0.5 h to 3 h per day, can be more when travelling)
  • using Facebook messenger (all the time in the background; actually typing about 1 - 2 h per day)
I am looking for a phone, of which battery can last through the day while performing activities above. Here are the traits the phone should have:
  • good battery life - i am willing to sacrifice speed and optimization of the phone to get more battery life
  • fast charging - unless the battery life is really good
  • longevity - i know this is hard to measure, but i want the phone to hold for a long time
  • big screen
  • good design - unfortunately i have a bit of "OCD" when it comes to the looks of the phone. I would like a thin phone (not a brick) with full screen (can have the "U" where the front camera sits). Color should be white or black
  • new, no subscriptions to any carriers etc.
What I am NOT looking for:
  • gaming - i do not play games on phone, so i do not need a gaming phone
  • good camera - i take photos only when I travel, and even then it is only to later show to my relatives, which don't care about the quality of the pictures
  • good, but power hungry processor - like explained above, i prefer battery life over speed of the phone. I just need the phone to perform good with one app open and play videos smoothly.
I would describe my wishes as rather simplistic. All I want is a quality phone with a good battery and longevity, but nothing more, unless it doesn't cross my budget or worsen longevity or battery life.

Any advice will be really helpful to me. Even just a link to sites where I could do the research or things to note when reading phone specs.

Thank you for you advice.