Phone that ages best

Jun 26, 2019
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to retire my iPhone 6 and pick up a new smartphone this fall. I want your advice on which phone will age the best. Although I'm pretty happily engulfed in the Apple "ecosystem", I'm not thrilled about iPhones. My 6 has slowed down and become glitchy. Some quick examples: my screen sometimes just goes black, Apple designed apps like messages randomly crash, and I can't receive notifications unless I disable bluetooth (like that makes sense haha). And before the Android folks out there get too excited - I've had trouble with those too. I've googled this topic a lot but it seems like every article is aimed at which phone has the best camera, processor, screen, battery life, etc. Although this is good information, it's not what I really care about. Deep down, a 3% faster processor or mildly better resolution screen doesn't matter when I'm trying to google a data sheet, use my GPS, or send a text. Same goes for cameras, battery life, and pretty much every other spec. What I really care about a lot is how my phone ages. I'm a college student and don't want to drop $1k for a new phone every few years.

In your experience, which phone brands & which OSs have held up the longest? In other words, which have you seen to still be fast, lag free, and have only a few bugs after 5 or so years?

In my world, any Android will be much better even if it's only to save yourself near to a thousand £$€. Apple has relied on its acolytes paying anything they're asked for whether or not the latest model is any better than the last.

My phones are Samsung but there are any number of makes you'll find in any store of one or other Service Providers.

Just my £0.02.

lexme

Estimable
May 3, 2019
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to retire my iPhone 6 and pick up a new smartphone this fall. I want your advice on which phone will age the best. Although I'm pretty happily engulfed in the Apple "ecosystem", I'm not thrilled about iPhones. My 6 has slowed down and become glitchy. Some quick examples: my screen sometimes just goes black, Apple designed apps like messages randomly crash, and I can't receive notifications unless I disable bluetooth (like that makes sense haha). And before the Android folks out there get too excited - I've had trouble with those too. I've googled this topic a lot but it seems like every article is aimed at which phone has the best camera, processor, screen, battery life, etc. Although this is good information, it's not what I really care about. Well, I use phone app of IRCTC rail connect app frequently on my phone. I need a phone which support irctc rail connect app. Link to indian railway app. Deep down, a 3% faster processor or mildly better resolution screen doesn't matter when I'm trying to google a data sheet, use my GPS, or send a text. I do not want see domain redirection issues too on my phone. Click here and here to see the www non redirection issue. Same goes for cameras, battery life, and pretty much every other spec. What I really care about a lot is how my phone ages. I'm a college student and don't want to drop $1k for a new phone every few years.

In your experience, which phone brands & which OSs have held up the longest? In other words, which have you seen to still be fast, lag free, and have only a few bugs after 5 or so years?
I always purchase middle price range phones. So even if the Phone gets issues over time, it won't hurt my purse very much. For your case, I suggest you go for Android Phones. Apple is too costly.

Last edited:
My daughter has a 6s, I have a Samsung S7, neither are close to new, but both run fine without glitches, and both still get current updates. If you are asking which one is likely to be kept up with updates the best, then stick with the stock Android devices like Google Pixels.

TRENDING THREADS