Phone works but the screen stays black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan Stepp

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I have a Verizon 4G Samsung, brand new as of this year, in mint condition. No scratches, cracks, never wet, rarely dropped. And when it is dropped, it has always worked afterwards. One night, I plug it in to charge, as I always do, and leave it like that for the night. The morning after I get up, take my phone and leave, not bothering to look at my phone just yet. (This being part of a morning ritual of sorts. :p ) It is later that I go to look at the time that I press the on button to turn the screen on. The four buttons at the bottom on my screen, plus my keypad light up, but the screen stays black. I turn my phone off and then turn it back on, same result, black screen. I then took out the battery and put it back in, same result. I took the battery out and left it out for while, after reinserting it back into my phone after a few hours, I still had the same result. I had not dropped my phone the previous day or as of this month, it worked just fine the night before, as well as halfway through the night when I checked my phone. So, as I find no help in my family, I have turned to the internet, using the Verizon store as my last result. Any help would be wonderful. :)

Solution
The screen on your phone has a back light (invert er board).
Just like a computer, or a laptop screen once the back light breaks or becomes faulty no images can be seen on the screen.

Your best option is to contact verizon, and get the phone replaced with a new Phone.

Shaun o

Distinguished
The screen on your phone has a back light (invert er board).
Just like a computer, or a laptop screen once the back light breaks or becomes faulty no images can be seen on the screen.

Your best option is to contact verizon, and get the phone replaced with a new Phone.

Solution

pein

Estimable
Apr 25, 2014

i have also the same problem and im thinking of replecing the lcd. but yeah, i still dont have enough money for that. :(

RINXD

Estimable
Jun 30, 2014
I have a similar problem but my problem starts when the screen goes black forsleep mode and then i cant turn it back on though the phone keeps working if someone knows something please tell me.

babyface900

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015

i have a srint samsung galaxys do you have to pay for new phone?

zayyy

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015

I:??: drop my phone it show the light but it won't turn on it keep showing a balck screen what can I do

Jamilah19

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015
Try taking battery out for a full day and put it in the next day. Most likely the problem is that you overheated the phone. If that doesn't work, either get a new LCD screen or another phone.

bhargrave

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015
Mine did this just this morning. Bottom display working, phone working, but could barely see the home screen. I noticed when I restarted it the lights work fine during power-on, then back to the black(ish) screen. I found under settings-display-brightness that my brightness setting had set itself down to the lowest possible setting. My Android does have a tendency to do things on its own initiative. Way too sensitive to movement although I've tried turning off those types of options.

chris_205

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
My phone had did the very same thing a couple day ago. It was completely black out. The only way I can actually see was by using another phones flashlight. I've been doing this for a couple of days. I finally decided to go get it replaced. But, when I woke up this morning, the screen was back on working perfectly. How could that be? I have no clue.

John Marcotte

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
You need to consult your phones' customer care. There might be some hardware issue that can be fixed easily. I have faced the same issue, there was a problem in its hardware. Hope you will get your solution solve soon.

Samxkuro

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Press the power button and the volume down button at the same time and hold for 20 seconds

the + volume button or the - volume button or both? I just tried this with the power and + button and it didn't work. (I have an iPhone 5s and everything works but the screen is staying black)

James_315

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

Press the POWER BUTTON and the VOLUME DOWN button at the same time for about 20 seconds. Sometimes you have to do it more than once. Good luck

poodlerosebud

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016

Mine did the same thing one evening as I was using it. I could still use Siri to call and text . I took it in to a place at our hotel in Las Vegas and he said I had overcharged it and I got a external battery case and it is working like a charm. It is a i5s I have had for several years but was going to have to replace it. I paid 100 dollars and it is a cool device you don't have to charge often.

Bercy

Prominent
May 4, 2017

THIS WORKED FOR MY PHONE THAT'S NOT SAMSUNG. THANK YOU SO MUCH! although it turned on finally, it led me to a loading screen that says "android is starting".

Status
Not open for further replies.