Picking a College Laptop

Arakkan

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
1. What is your budget?
$700

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Doesnt matter

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Doesnt matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Not really i have a desktop for that, but i want a gpu for longer laptop life.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

It needs to start and shutdown quickly.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

1tb should be plenty

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Amazon, newegg, tigerdirect

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Doesnt matter

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Lenovo, have had a lot if experience with them, other than that i'm open to anything, but i'd prefer not to remove a lot of bloat ware. I'd prefer not to buy from dell.

13. What country do you live in?
US
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'm going to college, so you can imagine what it is going to go through. I also have considering getting a refurbished laptop, but i dont have any experience with refurbished laptops so I am a little hesitant. I am considering this one.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA9RF3ZK0444

Solution
1 I prefer Windows 7 bug finding that on anythung new is a long shot, 8.1 isn't unbearable.

2 It doesn't matter to me, a folding laptop is a ok with me, but touch screebs are cool as long as they don't make it any more expensive than the competitors.

3 Weight isn't as issue for me, anything to keep fit!

I do really like the Y700!

Dasanii

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
Spec for spec against, ASUS, Acer, Dell, and HP. None of these guys offer anything above 8GB standard, 512GB SSD, some offer IPS display some don't. Comes with a 6th gen i7 and decent dedicated GPU.

Pros:
6th gen i7
Dedicated gpu (R9-M375 2GB)
16GB 2133MHz DDR4
1TB HDD + 512GB SSD.
IPS anti-glare
2 JBL speakers which sound amazing imo.

Cons:
Battery life is rated at 5 hours, which means you're most likely not going to get 5 hours worth of battery.
4.8lb's which isn't feather weight but isn't too heavy either.
After reading some reviews, know that Lenovo does in fact install Windows 10 on the 5400 HDD INSTEAD of the SSD (for whatever reason).

This would be my choice for $700 budget.

Lenovo Y700 (14")
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-14-inch/?sb=:000001C9:000161FC:

Arakkan

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
1 I prefer Windows 7 bug finding that on anythung new is a long shot, 8.1 isn't unbearable.

2 It doesn't matter to me, a folding laptop is a ok with me, but touch screebs are cool as long as they don't make it any more expensive than the competitors.

3 Weight isn't as issue for me, anything to keep fit!

I do really like the Y700!

Solution

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

You do realize that windows 7 has been discontinued and is completely unsafe to use. You would have tons of security loopholes