Pictured: The Guitar Hero 5 Drum Kit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It's easy to bash games like this, but they are still great games. When I was a kid, we took plywood and cut them in guitar shapes, draw a keyboard on a square one, took cushions for drum kids and blasted the stereo as we played as a band. Now, you get to actually be involved with these games.

Great party games too.

G

For someone who has never really played an instrument GH drums have been priceless. Before I started the GH drums I couldn't even hold a beat in my head. Fast forward... Now I can complete several songs on Expert and I find myself listening more to the drumming in songs and following along in the car. Now I know that this by no means makes me a drummer, but I know for a fact that I'm now much more apt to keep a beat in a song on real drums than I would have been without GH.
I like it to driving. Just because you have a drivers license doesn't mean that you are a racecar driver, however you at least have an understanding and some ability to work with that you didn't have before you got your license.

G

not everyone is capable of learning guitar and drums so no one should say that they should pick up a real one

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Well, I used to play drums when I was younger ( I wasn't good at all). But I believe that while this doesn't really 'teach' you how to play anything, it does kind of get you to learn rhythm...somewhat. If you play the songs on easy, it teaches you nothing. But once you get good enough to play songs on expert it does kind of 'guide' you - for lack of a better word - closer to being able to actually play drums. With that said...the drums and the microphone are the closest to being the 'real thing' on these games. After playing RBII on the basic set I bought the crash expansion and bought a 2nd kick pedal (with a self built circuit to allow you to actually use the 2nd pedal) to make it slightly more realistic. The 2nd kick is by no means close to having a real 2nd kick, but I needed it since there is no real action on the pedal to get those quick kick notes in rapid succession.

Since being able to play about 90% o the RB songs on expert I really want to graduate to a real set of drums and have been searching for a cheap used kit...but alas, not having the fundage for anything decent has prohibited me from pursuing my dreams of becoming an avid drummer/percussionist.

Corporate_goon

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Just want to add to the comments about RB/GH drums and learning to play real drums -

I think it's a great way to supplement drum lessons. It gives you lots of excuses to practice, but as has been noted, it doesn't teach you the basic fundamentals you need to be a good drummer. If you just want to sit down at a kit and impress some non-musician friends, it'll get you there, but if you actually want to play in a band or something, you'll definitely want to get lessons in addition to playing the game. One of the hardest things about learning any instrument is finding the time to practice - if you can combine game time and practice time, it's a big help.

G

guitar hero 5 better work with guitar hero world tour drums and guitar... i dont want 2 be buyin a new drum and guitar 4 it, also... does ne1 no wen gh5 is coming out in UK?

G

I'm a drummer, and I think that guitar hero drums could give you more useful skills towards learning the drums than say... The guitar hero guitar giving you skills towards playing the guitar.

It's great for developing a good sense of rhythm and coordination, which are important concepts to grasp for people just starting to play the drums. Anything below medium though isn't really much like an actual drum part, though... And it's not going to help you're ability to say, read music... But... Sure, it's a fun way to get some basic skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.