Pictured: The Zune HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

winterblade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
For me the lack of bluetooth was enough reason to lost interest in it... but with BT a would be there day one to get it.

spaz480

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
now i may finally get a zune, i was intrigued by the original but Ipod won out, but now that i've lost my Ipod touch this is starting to look like the one ill get especially with all the negative media surrounding Apple, don't wanna by from a murdering monopoly(or suicide inducing, yes i understand foxconn is in everything I just wanna bash apple when i have the chance, damn them and there good customer service.)

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]winterblade[/nom]For me the lack of bluetooth was enough reason to lost interest in it... but with BT a would be there day one to get it.[/citation]bluetooth is overrated, but technically anything with wifi could receive bluetooth because they run on the same radio frequency with less bandwidth and power requirements.

vohnvest

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
i'm gonna line up at best buy in the morning to get one no matter how much it costs, i guess you could call me a fanboy!

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]Does it have an HD screen? No. So it shouldn't really be called "Zune HD".[/citation]
It does play HD on any HD screen you hook it into. So yes it can be called HD for its HD capabilities.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
"pinching and reorienting pages work just like the iPhone and iPod Touch"

It sounds like Apple's patents are about to get tested.

This looks like it'd make a great phone. Too bad.

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]Does it have an HD screen? No. So it shouldn't really be called "Zune HD".[/citation]

The Zune's HD radio also prompts the HD tag.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
They should make a Zune phone in the first place, not this useless thing. But that will piss off a lot of their partners. If they want to capture handheld entertainment market, they should market it as "XBox Boy," "XBox Portable," "XBox DS" etc. Or, better yet, XBox Zune.

Although I admit that M$ marketing is doing better in targeting directly to consumers, they still suck at creating a sucker base compared to Apple Inc. And they still suck at integrating their products into cross-platform service provider such as Google.com.

I still think they should just abandon making more Zune hardware, and re-marketing Windows Mobile brand as Zune OS. Get a few Taiwanese OEM to make Zune smartphones and sign exclusive contract with telcomm companies, then providing Internet support to those plans via Bing.com. These will be killer product lines. If they can get the Weather Channel streamed directly to the Zune Phone, I'll get one immediately.

But, Noooo, they are still trying to emulate business model of Apple Inc. and Google.com, and intending to beat both companies at what they do best. I've wrote here twice that Microsoft Store is a bad idea, and twice I've got major thumbed down. It turns out that M$ Store is becoming a bad idea faster than you can say the word Zune.

M$'s consumer product team need to realize that they need to find out how to enhance consumer's life and provide a good product, not imitating others. They won the productive software battle because they can provide better overall package on enterprise level. Somehow their consumer product team has never picked up. Once they have a killer product that everybody wants but can't afford, they can start to release cheaper crap to lure suckers in. Why am I writing this and teach M$ how to expand? Nevermind, those M$ managers won't read this anyway, since they know better than consumers about what they need. Just follow what Apple Inc. did and copy from them!

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I hope they do have at 36GB space in the new ZuneHD. With the size of the 720p HD video clips/movies/TV shows... anything less than 36G is not going to be very pratical, specially if I can not even see the quality of 720p video on ZuneHD's screen.
Yes it does support the HD output to HDTV... but the main purpose of having a portable media player is to watch my favorate show or movie on the road or whenever I am not home.
I do like the OLED screen (though the life span of OLED is known to be much shorter tha LCD), but without been able to watch HD video on HD on ZuneHD, it is kind of defect the purpose of been HD.

By the way, does anybody know what's the battery life? Does it also use that Li-ion polymer battery? Is the battery changeable (I mean easly changable)?

The new ZuneHD looks ok so far... but I guess I will wait till someboy have actually tested it.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I own the original ZUNE 30GB and I'm very happy with it, but sale of the second generation have been very poor due to faulty manufacturing. Have you seen the number of refurbished 2nd gen models on the net for sale, their everywhere. So why would MS release an HD model if the 2nd gen is crippled. I can only wish they would pick up ground against apple. I have two comments from other posters here.

1. Business Model. MS is trying to unify the random and some large named mp3 player manufactures to use their zune software. Which could lead these player manufactures to rally against apple to begin developing some cross-player features like the use of zune store to download songs and videos or WiFi-transfer of songs. Thinking extremes, that would be Apple Vs The World unified under MS.

2. Bluetooth. I own a 3rd party bluetooth setup (jabra A120s adapter + Motorola S9 headset) and its not the best. If you are walking around an area or a old building with high amounts of iron can disrupt the signal even if your components are right next to each other. Its not the most reliable frequency.

3. Copyrights Patents. I think everyone is freaking tried of every company suing or creating patents against others innovations to barred the use of such technology. I feel it ruins competition against the markets, which leads to monopolies that drive the cost up for u and I.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
hmm looks and works like an ipod touch but cheaper with a built in radio tuner.

WTG apple for setting the bar for everyone to follow. WTG zune for offering competition but it would be nice for zune to do something that makes it a zune and not a "cheap itouch clone" Look at nintendo DSi at what they did to revamp their product.

Status
Not open for further replies.