Piracy Isn't Such a Bad Thing, Says Maker of Angry Birds

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]You are adding too many zeros .[/citation]
I don't think he is. Massively had an article a couple of weeks ago where the estimated development cost of of Star Wars The Old Republic may have been upwards of $500,000,000. When you consider the market, sell 10-20 million copies at $50-$60 each, then a sub fee of $15/mo on say an averge of 3-5 million subscribers, you will easily turn a profit.

I can easily seeing average single player games headed toward the $50-$100 million mark.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jl0329[/nom]People who say they pirate because there is no demo is utterly BS. Stealing is stealing. Games are not necessity. Nobody is forcing you to buy, also, there are trailers and reviews all over the internet for you to decide whether you want it or not. If you were to buy a house, you don't get to just steal the key and live in it for as long as you like before making the purchase (if ever). I am seriously tiered of this excuse. Stop making stealing sounds so honorable, because in truth, you are just a thief. Quote from above poster:"Pirating something is against the law, whether or not you agree with a business not giving you a full copy to try. Everyone wants to bend the rules to their liking." 100% agree.I don't hate piracy (I do it too and I am not proud of it), but I hate people who tries to justify their stealing with pathetic excuses.[/citation]

If you were looking at houses to buy you can look around, get a feel of the place before you buy or rent it. Not so much with a game that doesn't have a full-featured demo. Sure you could look at reviews and such just like you can look at pictures of a house instead of going in to the house, but it's not the same as going to the house. Besides, how is it stealing if you either delete the game the day you pirate it (if you don't like it) or you buy it after you pirate it (if you like it)?

If I don't like it then I can get rid of it and the company doesn't lose money because I am not using the product, legally or illegally, and if you buy it then the company actually makes money, quite the opposite of stealing. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't buy a house based on pictures and descriptions alone.

I won't claim it's my business that a company doesn't want this being done (that's their own stupidity) so I'll agree with you that it should not be condoned or supported officially but this method of piracy is more of a win-win for a game business that makes a game I like and a win for me, I get a game I like legally after I buy it. If I don't like it then the company I didn't buy it from and deleted the pirated copy of wouldn't have gotten my money anyway.

It's not my fault they didn't make a game I enjoyed and they didn't lose anything from me trying it out.

cjhorton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
[citation][nom]MrSphex[/nom]Just to point it out, there is a typo in this article. Says yo instead of to.[/citation]

He was a factor of 10 off. Some AAA games cost well over $10M U.S to make.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]If you were looking at houses to buy you can look around, get a feel of the place before you buy or rent it. Not so much with a game that doesn't have a full-featured demo. Sure you could look at reviews and such just like you can look at pictures of a house instead of going in to the house, but it's not the same as going to the house. Besides, how is it stealing if you either delete the game the day you pirate it (if you don't like it) or you buy it after you pirate it (if you like it)? If I don't like it then I can get rid of it and the company doesn't lose money because I am not using the product, legally or illegally, and if you buy it then the company actually makes money, quite the opposite of stealing. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't buy a house based on pictures and descriptions alone.I won't claim it's my business that a company doesn't want this being done (that's their own stupidity) so I'll agree with you that it should not be condoned or supported officially but this method of piracy is more of a win-win for a game business that makes a game I like and a win for me, I get a game I like legally after I buy it. If I don't like it then the company I didn't buy it from and deleted the pirated copy of wouldn't have gotten my money anyway.It's not my fault they didn't make a game I enjoyed and they didn't lose anything from me trying it out.[/citation]
Agree with you! Amen ! LüL

G

"Glad to finally see a company that realizes there is pretty much nothing that can be done to stop piracy."

Even IF that were true, there is no reason for companies to stop trying to prevent piracy. The law is the law, and wrong is wrong. If homicide or burglery were to become an epidemic, we don't just throw up our hands and decide to allow it. Some of you guy are completely insane.

"I guarantee that those greedy companies would do even better if they did something similar."

Funny, you. "Greedy companies"? As if they ever forced anyone to buy a game, or as if you had some disease whereby you could not help yourself but to pirate games. Greedy Co. comes out with a game, and asks certain $$$ for it. You either decide to pay for it, or you tell them to take a hike. Not sure you want to buy, and need a demo? Greedy Co. doesn't have a demo? Then you don't buy the game, idiot! You teach the company that they don't sell well unless they offer fair prices and a demo, or a return policy (rare).

All you pirating people are lacking so very seriously in self control, and you have done it so much, that you are completely numb to your illegal activity that someo f you even suggest pirating is "good" or even "neccesary".

Sorry guys, but life isn't like "Pirates Of The Carribean" movies. Pirates of the old days (and even today) were generally just thieves of the high seas, and were not good people. There is no reason anyone should want to emulate them.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
during high school i pirated over 85 xbox 360 games, before moving to pc gaming. Guess how many of those games i would have bought? maybe 5. I had no job and would have made do with only a few.

Pirating xbox games is not as easy as pc games (though u get online play) and most of my class mates were incapable or unwilling. Most of the games I only played for a few hours and then I would talk about them. I was free advertising.

I would recommend any game that kept me playing for more than a few hours and am responsible for "selling" hundreds of games over the 2 or 3 years. That's a ton of money to the developers (the ones that actually made good games) without them actually loosing anything (since I wouldn't have bought the games anyway).

It also made me a "fan" of several companies and titles. Now that I have a job and an expensive computer, I'm able to buy dozens of games a year and do so. Not that I've stopped pirating completely (I only wanted mw3 for the campaign, which is worth $10 as an expansion pack not $60) but most games I play are online and when your hardware costs as much as mine does, whats another 60 bucks?

On a separate note, pirating is responsible for getting me into the tech industry. StarCraft might have started me on serious gaming but gaming doesn't take any computer skills. As a ten year old, trying to figure out limewire, cracks, subsequent virus maintenance, then torrents, private trackers, vpns, etc was a huge challenge that taught me far more than school could have (until college anyway). It's possible I'd be hating my life in some science or business related field if i hadn't discovered how much fun problem solving computer issues was.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]reptileken95[/nom]"Glad to finally see a company that realizes there is pretty much nothing that can be done to stop piracy."Even IF that were true, there is no reason for companies to stop trying to prevent piracy. The law is the law, and wrong is wrong. If homicide or burglery were to become an epidemic, we don't just throw up our hands and decide to allow it. Some of you guy are completely insane."I guarantee that those greedy companies would do even better if they did something similar."Funny, you. "Greedy companies"? As if they ever forced anyone to buy a game, or as if you had some disease whereby you could not help yourself but to pirate games. Greedy Co. comes out with a game, and asks certain $$$ for it. You either decide to pay for it, or you tell them to take a hike. Not sure you want to buy, and need a demo? Greedy Co. doesn't have a demo? Then you don't buy the game, idiot! You teach the company that they don't sell well unless they offer fair prices and a demo, or a return policy (rare).All you pirating people are lacking so very seriously in self control, and you have done it so much, that you are completely numb to your illegal activity that someo f you even suggest pirating is "good" or even "neccesary".Sorry guys, but life isn't like "Pirates Of The Carribean" movies. Pirates of the old days (and even today) were generally just thieves of the high seas, and were not good people. There is no reason anyone should want to emulate them.[/citation]

... Where do I begin? okay, piracy can't be stopped because the pirates will always find a way around the DRM and similar tech faster than new DRM tech comes out. We see proof of this every day, just look how quickly new cracks are made after old ones are fixed by developers. You can see workarounds and such out as soon as the next day after a fix that took weeks or months to be made by developers. The scales are tipped in the pirates favor because they tend to be better at finding vulnerabilities and exploiting them or they simply outnumber the developers.

Did you seriously compare software piracy to homicide and burglary? If I were to download a cracked version of Windows 7 to upgrade an older Vista PC Microsoft didn't lose anything and no one got killed over it either. They didn't gain anything and that is the problem. Now I don't use cracked Windows, I download evaluations from Microsoft's website and install an evaluation of a different version after the previous evaluation time runs out. I'm not paying for Windows but it's not piracy either.

This same solution doesn't work for most games and honestly, I think with games it is pretty much the same thing as piracy if I were to do that. I respect game developers much more than Microsoft and I don't suggest piracy is good, but it is a reasonable solution if a game doesn't have a full-featured demo. No one would lose anything if I downloaded a copy of Star Craft 2 to test it out, found I don't like it, and deleted it. No one would gain but it would be no different than if I had downloaded a demo except this way I get to experience the whole thing to see if there is anything I like/dislike that Star Craft 2's crap demo left out. Once again, no deaths or loses here. If I find I like it then Blizzard actually gains money when I buy it.

I'm an idiot for wanting to know if I like the game and do you really think slightly fewer people buying the game will make Blizzard (or anyone else whom lacks them) have proper demos?

Do you really think that many of these companies aren't lead by greedy people? How do you think they got to where they are, by playing nice? The vast majority of huge companies are lead by greedy, corrupt people. I've noticed that game companies overall seem better than most other companies, but the fact still remains.

Do companies need to force someone to do something to be greedy? That's horrible logic on your part, yet I can't say I expected much after the earlier parts of your comment but that was the worst. Oil companies and banks don't force you to use their services but every single one of them is lead almost purely by greed. At least game companies tend to be better than looking at our government's greed and corruption problems.

FYI, I'm not a pirate, I don't recommend piracy, but I'm not stupid enough to think it's comparable to homicide. If it is done in the way I mentioned I honestly don't have a problem with it. However, if someone downloads an illegal copy of something with intent to do more than just try it out then there is a problem. It still isn't homicide, but I'll admit it is wrong and may deserve minor punishment. Considering your seemingly ignorant stance on this I have to ask, what is your opinion of SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, and OPEN?

They are great examples of huge attempts to thwart piracy that like most before them would hurt the average user far more than actual pirates whom really wouldn't be much more than inconvenienced. The pirates whom distribute pirated material are very intelligent individuals and they will rapidly find ways around pretty much anything done to stop them.

Look at it this way, the companies need to defend problems in their (and other relevant company's) products they either didn't even know about before they are exploited or they didn't care enough to fix anyway. We here news stories almost every day about some new vulnerabilities found in a variety of software and media and many of them either go unfixed for long periods of time or permanently.

G

Blazorthon, you can try and poke all the holes in my argument you want. In the end, the law is the law. Pirating is wrong, even most people on this site who admit to pirating agree it is wrong and that it is not good to try and offer excuses.

All you are doing is engaging in "might makes right" and everyone does what in right in their own eyes. Your opinion (according to what you've stated), I can only gather, is that it is too bad for the gaming and OS companies that they don't have hordes of anti-pirates and you have the right to pirate a game for your own purposes. That isn't how life works. When you get older, you will understand better.

And no, I never said Greedy Co. needs to force someone to buy their stuff to be greedy. I said that pirates are people who lack self control. They hear about a game they want and can't help but to steal it online. Or they think it is up to them to create their own demo by downloading it, playing it to their heart's content, and then supposedly deleting it (as if anyone has any reason to believe anything you say about what you will do with their game. After all, you already downloaded it illegally!!!).

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Pirates wouldn't have bought the game anyway because they're often too poor to buy games, not unless there is some epic game that they can't crack and live without like SC2 or COD/BF where you need to have an authentic copy will they actually go out and buy the game. All the pirates I know are dirt poor.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]reptileken81[/nom]Blazorthon, you can try and poke all the holes in my argument you want. In the end, the law is the law. Pirating is wrong, even most people on this site who admit to pirating agree it is wrong and that it is not good to try and offer excuses.All you are doing is engaging in "might makes right" and everyone does what in right in their own eyes. Your opinion (according to what you've stated), I can only gather, is that it is too bad for the gaming and OS companies that they don't have hordes of anti-pirates and you have the right to pirate a game for your own purposes. That isn't how life works. When you get older, you will understand better.And no, I never said Greedy Co. needs to force someone to buy their stuff to be greedy. I said that pirates are people who lack self control. They hear about a game they want and can't help but to steal it online. Or they think it is up to them to create their own demo by downloading it, playing it to their heart's content, and then supposedly deleting it (as if anyone has any reason to believe anything you say about what you will do with their game. After all, you already downloaded it illegally!!!).[/citation]

I never claimed "might makes right" and I doubt I ever will. Besides that, the law is not just the law end of argument. If the law is wrong (The law is wrong too often, but that's because we allow it to be) then it should be disregarded or fixed so it will no longer be wrong. If the law had the final say in a problem then why is nicotine from tobacco products legal when it is either the most addictive drug or among them? Why is marijuana illegal when it is shown to not be nearly as bad as tobacco? The laws were manipulated through bribery and other unethical means. The law can be wrong and although this method of piracy is a somewhat less extreme example, the law is wrong here. I'm not saying we should legalize weed nor make tobacco illegal, but do realize that the law is not always right. It is managed by some of the greediest people in the country, our legislators.

Absolutely no harm has come to anyone from this method of piracy and no harm will come to anyone. I fail to see the problem with this method besides the fact that it allows a potential buyer of a game to test the game before they buy it so if they don't want it they won't buy it, it allows potential buyers to be better informed of the purchase before it is made. Since most of these companies would rather screw someone out of some money rather than get a customer that enjoys their game yes, it is too bad for them that they don't have legions of anti-pirates that will help them be jerks to their customers.

If I'm poking holes in your argument then why don't you take the time to stop being ignorant of the second side of this problem? If everyone whom had such a problem and they disregarded one side of it then they would probably never solve their problem. In addition to your intentional ignorance, your being an asshole. Furthermore, you insult my credibility rather than approach the piracy problem open-minded. That is the exact way that people have acted historically when a scientist came up with a new idea that challenged what they had been told even though it had proof behind it. How long did it take people, even other supposed scientists and intellectuals, to take people like Copernicus seriously after he said that the Earth is not the center of the universe?

Most people's understanding of the Internet, software, and media are outdated or based on the concepts of physical property. Those concepts just don't work. For example, if I went to your house and stole something, lets say your computer, you would no longer have it. However, if I downloaded a copy of Starcraft, where ever I downloaded it from, and Blizzard, would still have it. I simply have a copy of it. It's not the same as physical property and treating it like it is has not been going well.

We see ridiculous things going on right now both because of those greedy companies and admittedly because of different piracy methods like keeping the game after pirating it. Some companies are learning albeit very slowly about this. For example, Ubisoft's ridiulous DRM where if you change your computer's hardware more than either three times or more than three times after their game is installed it would lock you out of it and need to be reactivated by Ubisoft.

This was legal. It was legal for them to say I can't upgrade my own computer without contacting them to get my game fixed. Furthermore, in practice Ubisoft was very slow to reactivate the game or they never did. Basically means a lot of people weren't to happy when they surprisingly can't play their game that they paid for after a recent video card, CPU, motherboard, etc. upgrade. A lot of people that paid for the game had to pirate it after their upgrade just to continue playing something they already paid for. Ubisoft, having possibly learned how ridiculous and stupid this was (how could this possibly stop piracy? what were they smoking to think it would?) since they claim to either have removed it or will remove it. I never played the game, legally or otherwise, so I can't confirm this, but think about it.

Do you think I lack self-control? Would I lack self-control if I downloaded a copy to try it, deleted it a few hours later and bought it after deleting it? I'll admit that the pirates whom keep illegal copies do lack self-control but I think what I just explained is the exact opposite, no more lacking than choosing to buy the game in the first place. If informing yourself about your purchase is the lack of self-control then you'd be right, but it isn't.

I think that testing something before paying money for it is in fact self-control, it's a good mentality for not wasting money. If more people didn't make impulsive purchases then there would be somewhat fewer problems. I notice how you continue to try to point out problems with my argument that I've already beaten and ignore what I say that proves you wrong. That destroys your credibility more than if I actually did pirate games and other media/software. If I were a pirate like this then I would have an even better insight as to why it is done and a better point of view.

I'll even admit what I said about piracy being pretty much impossible to stop is wrong. However, it would be very difficult to create a system that would stop pirates without hindering the legal users. That is where the problems lies... Companies either don't try to do this or they fail at trying to do this miserably. Either way, you don't see a whole lot of companies that have done well here.

Honestly, your insulting me is ridiculous too. Obviously neither of us are idiots if we were intelligent enough to use a site like Tom's and have some understanding of this topic. However, I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people try to argue their point without considering the opposition. It's not an intelligent way to argue. I look at your argument and point out where it seems wrong and where it can be right or partially right but you look at my argument and seem to think that pretty much everything I say is wrong simply because I don't support your point of view.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
When did the music industry stop assuming everyone was a thief? I didn't get the memo, in fact the last I heard was the RIAA was planning on going after music on FM radio, claiming it was another hotbed of piracy. My take on it all is that they don't want people listening to new music, so I don't. I have hundreds of CD's and about a hundred albums purchased on Amazon and iTunes, but none of it's new stuff, I simply don't hear it.

VideoGamer666

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Well they wouldn't have had it either. Pirating something is against the law, whether or not you agree with a business not giving you a full copy to try. Everyone wants to bend the rules to their liking.[/citation]
Littering is against the law in some places, but you have probably littered. Rules and laws are a setback, just like consoles are for gaming (Herp Derp indeed)

You sir, are now nominated to be the Government's personal b!tch.

G

I download. Play. If I don't like or wish to continue playing I delete. If I do like I purchase a NEW physical that never gets opened and goes to my collection. I may sell it sealed for gain in a decade. Who knows. They get full money and my money didn't vote for the trash of the industry rather it voted for my view of quality. Also it frees me from their stupidity such as $5 for a helmet,must run this program which may spy,pay to "cheat" lol, etc.

There is a lot of content to sort before voting with your wallet. This is simply the best way of doing so. Demo's are not sufficient or always present. In some cases you must submit to their madness to try even the demo (see mass effect 3 origin)

There are professional reviews (or paid reviews often), peer,etc. but its all taste and ultimately you must try yourself to know or lose money. With a suck ratio of 10:1 that one game wasn't worth $600 to find and in the process you fed 9 suck monsters and quality decline is inevitable as they will sell - whatever people buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.