Pirate Parties Campaign on Behalf of Legit Megaupload Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Where are the hackers in the world when u need them to take revenge on FBI's own webservers on this silly action?

Nobody should just shut down the site, FBI take down the pirates, not the legitimate users.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
The whole time I'm reading this I'm stuck thinking that a group that wants to defend legitimate users of a site suspected of being owned by huge software/media pirates shouldn't call themselves anything related to pirates, but at least someone is speaking out for those people.

[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]Yes a Corporation is a legal entity, its also made that way to separate the finances of the Business, from those of its owners. Without something like that in place it would be impossibly hard to get financing to pay employees, any lawsuit brought against your company means your family will also get boned over, and it also means that these businesses would take less risk. Its not a question of how the business is structured be it a Corp, or a small mom and pops shop, the thing that's boning us over is the Business ethics these companies use. The practices of a business are a direct reflection of upper management. A Non Profit can be filled with just as meany pricks as a corp given the right environment.[/citation]

I agree, it is the business ethics of any business, corporation, non-for-profit, or any other such professional group that defines themselves, not the type of group they are. Unfortunately, many (most?) large companies, be they a regular business or a corporation, have horrible ethics. These people don't care about their customers but do care about getting millions/billions of pocket cash all to themselves each year. Greed is an undeniable, deplorable part of those companies and it seems to get worse with larger companies than with smaller ones. Just look at all of the banks, can't find a single one without corrupt leadership. Tech companies are no exception. We have Apple, Microsoft, Intel, most ISPs and home phone service providers, and (unfortunately) many more. What may be a noteworthy exception is Magic Jack's home phone service. It costs $19.95 USD a year and that's less than what I paid Verizon each month before switching.

Some of the RAM companies are great (I like G.Skill, Corsair, and Crucial) but many other companies just don't seem to have the best interests of their own customers in mind. Look at Intel's X79 chipset. Its much simpler than the X58 yet it cost so much more. Many parts of the chipset were moved to the processor thus simplifying the chip set while complicating the processor a little) and undoubtedly cheaper for Intel to make it yet each X79 chipset costs almost twice as much to be put on a motherboard, something like $70-$80 of each motherboard's price is just the chipset. Compare this to the $40 or so for the much more complex X58 and you see this is ridiculous, especially if the chipset had a die shrink.

Sorry I don't have a link but I couldn't find the articles with this info in my quick Google search and I'm too tired to do a long one right now.

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
It's a bit funny to observe how pirates here in this forum try to justify their thievery. And I'm from Colombia, a 3rd world country, but I prefer not to play a new videogame I want to play, or not to watch a movie that just came to cinemas, instead of stealing them. Old movies and videogames are as good as the new ones, I bought Farcry 1 for like 2 dollars in Steam and that game was awesome, even without those brutal Crysis graphics.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Where are the hackers in the world when u need them to take revenge on FBI's own webservers on this silly action?Nobody should just shut down the site, FBI take down the pirates, not the legitimate users.[/citation]
Pirates don't need to stike back. FBI can't win the piracy war even if they shut down every popular file sharing service. Same goes to RIAA.

Reactions: thegenuineleather

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]julianbautista87[/nom]It's a bit funny to observe how pirates here in this forum try to justify their thievery. And I'm from Colombia, a 3rd world country, but I prefer not to play a new videogame I want to play, or not to watch a movie that just came to cinemas, instead of stealing them. Old movies and videogames are as good as the new ones, I bought Farcry 1 for like 2 dollars in Steam and that game was awesome, even without those brutal Crysis graphics.[/citation]

It's a difficult, controversial subject. Is it really stealing if whom you took from didn't lose anything? Is it really stealing if whomever you download a game or something else has tried to screw you over? Is it really stealing if you already bought it but your paid for copy stopped working, maybe DRM messed up or your disc got damaged? I'm not justifying anything but just explaining that it's not the same thing as say, stealing a car or stealing cloths and other merchandise from a store.

Sure, there are a lot of people without such excuses but no matter what these companies say they don't cost the companies any money. If you wouldn't have paid for it at all and you download it then what? You download it and you don't cost the company any money since you wouldn't have paid for it anyway. Once again, I'm not justifying it just explaining the situation a little.

I don't pirate stuff and I don't have money so I play my older Unreal Tournament games (2004, GOTY edition from 2000) so I realize that the newest games with the best graphics aren't necessary, but you should think about why people would pirate besides not wanting to pay for it before judging them. It's not fair to look at only one side of the problem before condemning someone.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]It's a difficult, controversial subject. Is it really stealing if whom you took from didn't lose anything? Is it really stealing if whomever you download a game or something else has tried to screw you over? Is it really stealing if you already bought it but your paid for copy stopped working, maybe DRM messed up or your disc got damaged? I'm not justifying anything but just explaining that it's not the same thing as say, stealing a car or stealing cloths and other merchandise from a store.Sure, there are a lot of people without such excuses but no matter what these companies say they don't cost the companies any money. If you wouldn't have paid for it at all and you download it then what? You download it and you don't cost the company any money since you wouldn't have paid for it anyway. Once again, I'm not justifying it just explaining the situation a little.I don't pirate stuff and I don't have money so I play my older Unreal Tournament games (2004, GOTY edition from 2000) so I realize that the newest games with the best graphics aren't necessary, but you should think about why people would pirate besides not wanting to pay for it before judging them. It's not fair to look at only one side of the problem before condemning someone.[/citation]

My friend, your argument are as follows: can't afford/do not want to buy the product for variety of reasons, so decide to get them for free. In real life things don't work like that for eg, a car. If it breaks down, you pay to get it repaired or buy a new one. You can't get a new car for "free".
As for the cannot buy, therefore would not have paid anyway, so will not affect corporate revenue argument, that is wrong and so many people use this argument to justify piracy.

Let's use the car market as an example. Let's say a prospective buyer finds out that his friend got a car that he wanted for free from an "illegal shop" rather than the official dealer. Knowing that you won't get caught for using the "illegal shop" that sells the car 100% identical to the car from the official dealer you wanted, would you actually buy it? I can say with confidence that majority of prospective buyers would choose the one from the "illegal shop" instead because it is only emotional guilt that persuades you to buy from the official dealer. It is this "spill over" effect that corporations worry about with regards to piracy.

To make the case more relevant, internet pirates do receive money from their business model, examples include, but are not restricted to advertisement, donations etc etc. This is the reason why pirates are fighting for revival of megaupload using a hypocritical reasons backed by legit consumers, because they have been relying on their service to assist the piracy business. So knowing that corporations do lose money and pirates do earn money from their properties, is piracy justified in anyway? To this question, I say no, and I passionately believe that governments need to do a lot more to protect IP.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jar50972[/nom]fuck da police[/citation]

Really... What does any of this have to do with the police and why do you think it's bad to have them anyway? Someone has to stop/catch criminals and keep them in line or crime would be much more rampant and that would be a much bigger problem than even SOPA/PIPA/ACTA/OPEN ever would.

G

Let me see. I rent a storage locker at a public storage company. The FBI decides it has evidence to prove 'some' of the lockers have stolen merchandise in them. They lock access to the company and no one can access their stored goods. That sounds about right.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Really... What does any of this have to do with the police and why do you think it's bad to have them anyway? Someone has to stop/catch criminals and keep them in line or crime would be much more rampant and that would be a much bigger problem than even SOPA/PIPA/ACTA/OPEN ever would.[/citation]
I would like to introduce popular culture references to you, and I would also like to give you this:
*hands blazorthon a sense of humor*

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]Untrue. We would have more jobs without corporations. We would have less super rich billionaires.[/citation]

there would not necessarily be more jobs with out corporations. there would be more opportunity for starting small buisness' but keep in mind all buisness' expand and these mega corps for the most part started as small buisness' so the end result would still be the same. bunch of big companies maintaining the same job base. even though there might be more smaller buisness with out corps, smaller buisness' tend to work with smaller work forces so again end result is the same companies work just like consumer goods , supply and demand. when something becomes useless or unwanted it goes away. so on that end you and me are also responsible for "big Corporations". after all we were the ones shopping at the "super" store while jim and martha were closing their mom and pop ran buisness. so just shut up before more people slap you silly with just how dumb you sound.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]there would not necessarily be more jobs with out corporations. there would be more opportunity for starting small buisness' but keep in mind all buisness' expand and these mega corps for the most part started as small buisness' so the end result would still be the same. bunch of big companies maintaining the same job base. even though there might be more smaller buisness with out corps, smaller buisness' tend to work with smaller work forces so again end result is the same companies work just like consumer goods , supply and demand. when something becomes useless or unwanted it goes away. so on that end you and me are also responsible for "big Corporations". after all we were the ones shopping at the "super" store while jim and martha were closing their mom and pop ran buisness. so just shut up before more people slap you silly with just how dumb you sound.[/citation]

Excellent description.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
[citation][nom]jar50972[/nom]fuck da police[/citation]

"da" doesnt make you look cool... it makes you look like an idiot.

I bet If a .50 Desert Eagle was pointed directly between your eyes... you be pooing in your pants crying... Wheres "THE" Police. Idiot

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]may1[/nom]Let's use the car market as an example. Let's say a prospective buyer finds out that his friend got a car that he wanted for free from an "illegal shop" rather than the official dealer. Knowing that you won't get caught for using the "illegal shop" that sells the car 100% identical to the car from the official dealer you wanted, would you actually buy it?[/citation]
Let's stop pretending digital goods are similar in any way with physical stuff. Let's take a simple example... Avatar. A gross of $2,782 millions, at 50% and with a budget of $250 millions, that makes for $1.1 billions in profit. From theaters!!! Not counting in DVDs, rentals, TV distribution rights, action figures, tee-shirts and so on...

In comparison, the Ford profit for 2010 (same year as Avatar basically, since Avatar was released in December 2009) was of $2.7 billions. That's for a company with 164,000 employees world wide, the 5th largest automaker in the world.

The file sharing "industry" stands to show an inherent nature of all artistic work, since the beginning of the human race: it is made to be shared. You had no way to stop the ancient Greeks going home after their night at the theater and telling the story to their family. You had no way of forcing payment from the music listeners in an Italian piazza (other than pick-pocketing them, but that's another story). You now have no way of preventing the digital sharing. FBI or no FBI... the music/movie industry needs to shift the way it's making money.

There is one world (what's the idea behind region coding again?), there is one channel of distribution (the internet), I have one couch (actually 2... but never mind) and many devices (2 computers, a phone, a tablet, a tv and so on...). What I need is a simple and cheap way for watching movies. And I also need to know that the way I'm talking about is not only remunerating the movies I watch but the entire industry in general so small productions can still be made and original movies can still be a fact 10 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.