Pirates Buy More Music Than Non-Filesharing Peers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I beleave that the scheme that the music industry is using was always broken ever since they released the first CD. They charged way to much for the music to begin with, and continued to used this over priced scheme for the bases for there online content, so it comes to no surprise that pirates buy more for the simple reason that they can sample more music and find artist they like faster. most average joes don't want to risk there hard earned cash on an overpriced CD that might have one good track.

If they want to end piracy they have to first fix there pricing scheme. over charging for god knows how long, then assuming that we will continue to pay for overpriced crap as just a exercise in futility... especially when most of what your pumping out is crap... second they have to stop treating the industry like some kind of factory. if the stuff released this year sounds like last years stuff why would any one buy it??? what happened to old times where people would take risk on unique sounds? sames that the industry has all but dropped the search for anything unique, and instead chooses whats "SAFE"

safe is good... just don't expect safe numbers :)

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
The RIAA needs to let consumers decide the price for music like in Russia. I know this is old news, but I would like to know why the RIAA is allowed to be above the law and shut down sites like "allofmp3.com". If the RIAA allows music to be sold in Russia, for example, and a russian based website like "allofmp3.com" operates worldwide under russian law (which largely allows consumers to decide the price of music) then how can the RIAA legally force the website to shut down?

Jinx13

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Music less so. Musicians, imo, should be making their money the old fashioned way. Touring. I love live music, and go to concerts as often as I can afford. I don't complain about the overpriced tickets or the overpriced merchandise, I happily support good bands in that way. I still buy a music here and there but not often.

I do however have a giant movie collection. If I like a movie I go out and buy it. And games are the same way. Admittedly mostly for multi-player reasons in their case.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You needed a study to know that enthusiastic people who cant get enough of entertainment, would buy some too... I dont need a study to know that those who pirate will pay money for it too... They arent ALL like that, but most of the ones I know spend every last available dollar on purchasing items to fill their need for entertainment. Be it computer games, console games, movies, movie theaters, tv, etc... Pirates are real people too, show them a value and they will spend their hard earned money...

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
stupid survey lies...
It's like seeing one of those studies you swear is total BS.
"Eating raw lard is good for your health."
Then you find out the study was done by asking people how they feel after eating a meal. OMG that study must be the holy grail of truth.

(The above is an unrealistic example [not real])
I have seen and read about too many surveys and studies that are total BS that are made to be skewed one way or another.

Here is an odd bit:

"British people"
"16-24 year-olds surveyed, 75 percent of them were WILLING to pay for their tracks IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT"

OK, first these people live in England.
The second quote says 16-24 year olds, What about the people that are 25-50? Are they unwilling to pay at any price?

Seriously if you put effort into it you can make a survey or study skewed to make anything seem true.

On the other hand I hope the RIAA reads this.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I've downloaded a few here and there. If I like it I buy it on iTunes, if not I delete it. There have been some cases where a song I wanted was only available in another country's online store and to buy the CD plus shipping was way too much, so I ended up keeping the download.

As for the try before you buy (listening to the whole song) I usually use YouTube these days instead of P2P. Quite often YouTube has popups that link directly to multiple music stores so that you can buy it if you like it.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Part of what we all pay to have Internet, should be taken to partially cover some of the markets who suffer the most damage from piracy, for example, movies/music/books The tax could work on ratings/popularity. How many people use Internet? how many artist there are? not that many right? few Cents for each user on this planet.. that's quite a lot right?

Phesto

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Of course I spend an incredible amount of money not only on digital music but vinyl records and cds. I just don't spend my money on crappy top pop hits. I prefer to by from independent labels and I do my fair share of downloading of obscure music that I can't find at my chain store music dealer. I actually will spend my hard earned money on quality music which is becoming harder and harder to find these days.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
Paying for music? What You have not heard about radio? I am never bying music or pirating, to much hustle, too much choice. Switch on radio, don't like what's on switch a channel, simples. And you have benefit of news, entertainment traffic info etc inbetween. Why would anyone ever buy music, remains mystery to me.

nrgx

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
1) I don't pirate (anymore).
2) I would buy a lot more music if I could find it for sale. The problem is that the stuff I want to buy I hear through underground sources and whenever I do a search for the artists I usually come up empty. *MAYBE* the record companies should be trying to figure out what the consumer actually wants to BUY instead of complaining that people aren't buying the stuff they are trying to sell! But hey, the decline in sales is all the pirates' fault and has nothing to do with the fact that the record companies are incompetent and behind the times.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I'm a testimate of an illegal downloader who sometimes gets sick and tired of all the crappy mp3 quality and just hunker down for either the CD album or purchase high-qual from iTunes.

Movies more often than not i buy.... after i preview them in lowqual on torrent

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I usually download movies first and if I really like it then I'll get the blu-ray of is because I like having physical copies for show. With music, if I really like it, I'll go to their concert where I end up buying their album more than half the time. I don't hurt the music or film industry... I hurt the rental industry... =]

G

Pirating actually shows the industry how the business should operate. That is, every artist should offer their music free to download at a lower quality (128kps). And the people who actually likes the music and could affort the cost, would go to buy the album for higher and quality and fedility.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I can believe it. These are people that see the net as a tool to access music and video content. They download more of everything.

We all acquire similar things from more than one source. I get my groceries from a couple different stores, plus farmer's markets, etc.

oneseraph

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I'm think I may have misunderstood. Maybe the good people here at Toms can help.

Let me see if I have the facts straight.

1.It seems that someone has taken a survey of people who buy music.

2.Some of the people “surveyed “who claim to buy music also steal music.

3.Those who steal music claim that they buy more music than they steal.

4.The organization doing the survey concludes that the people who steal music buy more music than those that buy music but don’t steal music.

I believe I have the facts correct. If that is true then I am left wondering how the surveying body validated the input. That is to say, did they take all the responses as honest and correct? That seems like a very bad idea to me. Particularly when some of the respondents have admitted to stealing the very thing they claim to buy. Kudos to them for being “honest enough to admit such a thing in survey” but it still doesn’t change the fact that any answers they give about buying products they steal are “not to be trusted” or invalid.

Of course people, who steal music or any other media for that matter, claim to buy more than they steal. Most people will say just about anything to justify things they do. That said, any claims of purchasing that an admitted pirate makes are invalid in the context of a survey. The data source is explicitly not trusted. The answers could be true or they could be complete fabrication. Who knows, more importantly who cares invalid is invalid.

All of which brings me to my question.If the results of this survey are meaningless, why are they published on toms?

hrafnthor

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Just bought a cd I torrented, a couple of weeks back, yesterday. Didn't have to do it but I liked the music so I decided to pay for it.
If each song was only 75c then I'd buy more than I do now.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i only buy obscure music.i buy indie stuff and will never spend another dime on any large label/riaa artists.
and i do download stuff from blogs and p2p.if i like it enough i will go and buy it.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Another reason to buy legit besides quality, is special features. DVD special features, CD album special features (for certain albums). Since 98% of the p2p skip that content, it's worth buying dvd if you like the movie and also a special feature junkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.