Pixel 3 Frankenstein Design Is Not Worthy of Android

Mocsab

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016
I was hoping for more from GOOGLE. The Notch is an ugly distraction that no matter what you do gets in the way of the user experience. it is shocking to me that someone who is supposed to know better would actually refer to their design as "beautiful". Butt Ugly is a better description.

Apr 23, 2018
Samsung is currently the true stalwart of design. I pray that they don't succumb to the notch design! Resist The Notch!

bobdupuu

Estimable
Jul 7, 2018
Do we really need another article about the notch? If Google needs the notch to support the front facing camera, so be it. They could have let the notch run all the way across, but they captured the unneeded space for alert icons, etc. So all you whiners should go out and get one of those "cool" devices with the pop-up camera. What a "great" idea that is. I won't be holding my breath.

bobdupuu

Estimable
Jul 7, 2018
continued. I use for my wallpaper the animated Mars or Moon which has a completely black background. If I showed you my Pixel 2XL you could not even see any notch if there were one.

Aug 23, 2018
This person does not know the difference between the Pixel 3 and the Pixel 3 XL. It's obviously just a hit piece. The Google Pixel 3 does NOT have a notch.

Aug 23, 2018
The Pixel 3 does not have a notch, only the XL does. That's a pretty tremendous argument and kinda means this article isn't worthy of the internet. Do a bit more research before blasting, and I'd update this to inform people that the base phone has no notch.

Mocsab

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

if they let the notch run all the way across the top - it wouldn't be a notch. LOL

my question - when watching a movie or any video on a screen with a notch - what benefit does it give me to to have about 1/2 inch (or al ittle less) out of a portion of the screen (the notch) just to give the illusion that the screen is goes all the way to the edge of the phone - it isn't really - the only part of thej screen that does is on either side of the notch - with the Notch area missing cutting that part out of the viewable area of whatever you are watching - it is a horrible way to try to get an infinity screen

I agree with you about the pop up camera - just another moveable part that is bound to eventually break, get clogged or something. What is wrong with having a small black bar across the top for camera and sensors? Samsung has gotten it down to a very small amount of screen space - I don't even mind the chin - I find that it is easier to hold and use the phone in landscape mode if there is some additional space on each end that I can hold or touch without effecting what is playing on the screen. But that;s just me I guess.

Aug 23, 2018
Recently replaced my HTC 10 with an LG V30S ThinQ, aside from the hideous name, it is an amoled screen, wireless charging, thin bezel (no notch), headphone jack, beauty of a phone with a decent camera. I will settle for last year's 835 processor to save the $300.00. I was considering waiting for the next Pixel but from all appearances I made a good choice. I can live without instant updates to the operating system.

DrQuack

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014
Calling the notch lazy design is lazy journalism. The fact is that the notch allows us to have certain features, such as larger screen real estate while maintaining all of the traditional front-facing hardware that we've come to enjoy over the years. Is the notch attractive? No, clearly not, but in the interim of time when it's not feasible financially to make a 100% screen ratio phone the notch enables us to push forward.

Aug 24, 2018
There's an extremely simple reason while this phone has such big top and bottom bezels, and I can't believe nobody seems to be mentioning it.
The reason is so that the Pixel 3 can have front facing stereo speakers. Yes the phone looks uglier as a result, but you can be confident it'll also have the best speakers of any flagship this year. Whether that's a worthy trade is up to you but the fact that nobody is mentioning this just seems ridiculous.

Jul 5, 2018
I think you meant the Essential Phone's signature notch. Apple copied Andy Rubin. Being bigger doesn't effect the flow of spacetime. Apple copied Essential Phone.

Aug 26, 2018
I mever been a fan of iphone only used ipad for ebooks due to retina display. I have try samsung tablet worst it hang half way through especially when I am reafing ebook. I accidentally update my google pixel 2 xl to android p . the nfc not working and bluetooth sometimes work simetimes not. Seriously google should come out their own ideas for google phone design mot just copy see copy cat.