Planning to upgrade from GTX 780 to GTX 1060, how much of a difference will I notice?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iridar51

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
Hello!

I own a ASUS GTX 780 DC2OC 3GD5 Graphics Card, and I'm more or less satisfied with it's gaming performance, but some of the VR titles are giving it trouble.

A friend of mine owns a EVGA SSC GTX 1060 6 GB, so we ran a 3D Graphics Passmark benchmark on both PCs, and there seem to be minimal difference in actual computational power between these two GPUs.

MpDpCkH.png

QAzOGoV.jpg

Does GTX 1060 offer some other boost for VR Gaming, like by using some sort of advanced technologies?

Because otherwise, I'm having a hard time justifying going from 9500 of something to 9900.

Should I just wait for consumer volta in a few months?

My goal is being able to comfortably play any VR game, but I don't really care about graphics settings (as long as they're not too potato) or super sampling.

Solution

It's never worth waiting for the next big thing when you can enjoy something right now and use it imo. I can't predict what consumer Volta will do in VR .

A good basic overview of Pascal improvements for VR https://wccftech.com/pc-vrps-vr-gap-bigger-nvidias-pascal/,

Brent at HARDOCP also does a lot of work benching VR and discussing the tech involved both on his YT channel and on his website.