PlayBook Approved for Government Use by Feds

Status
Not open for further replies.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
It will be good for the feds to find the nearest do-nut shops and so on whilst they are out and about bothering law abiders.

jvc21

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I totally read the title wrong (It's 2am over here). I thought it said "Playboy approved for Government Use by Feds"

Then again, I could also be right...

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Good to know that the Govt is trying to keep up with the times. I can't help but wonder what features are missing from the average tablet that make this a security conscious choice.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Lan[/nom]Good to know that the Govt is trying to keep up with the times. I can't help but wonder what features are missing from the average tablet that make this a security conscious choice.[/citation]
Certain companies IT policy only allow for certified products. No other tablet in the market right now has the certifications that the playbook has, not even the iPad. So if those companies need tablets they will need to get those tablets. (I'm not talking about the typical business you would think thats primary use is email, but for the High level business CEOs, and High Tech where security is the number one concern.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jvc21[/nom]I totally read the title wrong (It's 2am over here). I thought it said "Playboy approved for Government Use by Feds"Then again, I could also be right...[/citation]
I think you're a bit late on that particular piece of news.... I hear it's the preferred reading material in the men's bathroom at the Pentagon...

[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Not surprised.. Its a blackberry.[/citation]
Nope....I'm sure Apple has a few exceptionally vague patents and a "decease and desist" order request already filed just this type of occassion.... We just haven't heard about it yet...

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
So.... of course the blackberry tablet has certification... it doesn't do anything.

Trust me, a Commodore 64 is one of the most secure computers you can use.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]So.... of course the blackberry tablet has certification... it doesn't do anything.Trust me, a Commodore 64 is one of the most secure computers you can use.[/citation]
Cos it doesn't have internet access and you can only use it locally? Big shock.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The fact that one of the countries biggest purchasers, the Federal Government, has put it on a list of approved products based on security standards means any other organisation that relies on security will flock to it. Financial organisations, etc, lots of sales here.

rjandric

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I work with iPads at my work, doing deployments and all that. BB is better device hands down (better OS in my opinion), it i's just sloppy RIM business execution that may have doomed the device, but this is a good news. Now they will definitely not cancel the PlayBook since there is a lot of $$ to be made when government picks it up and we'll see the email client coming.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
FIPS 140-2 certification is a big deal. No device can be used with out, no software can be approved without it. It can costs tens of thousands of USD to get a simply software package certified as FIPS 140-2, and that's assuming the software was written to be compliant from the beginning. If it wasn't then the costs can easy surpass $100K per application. For an entire device to be certified, that's some serious cash.

But the benefit is that it'll now be in the Government Purchasing Catalog and organizations can purchase them for Operational use.

hmohniii

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Don't see this going too far in classified areas with that "beautiful" 1080p videa camera... sure they can probably disable it, but that won't give some people enough of a warm fuzzy. When I was in the Air Force, we were not allowed to bring in phones that had built in cameras into classified areas for obvious reasons.

If they try to disable it, I'm sure there will be some nut out there looking for a way to re-enable it so they can become the next famous leak for wikileaks and the like.

theoldgrumpybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Cos it doesn't have internet access and you can only use it locally? Big shock.[/citation]

Hmm I remember hooking a modem up to a 64 and connecting to the net. But that was in the time when a techie was actually someone who made his/her own modem not whailing that an item "have no internet access".

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]I think you're a bit late on that particular piece of news.... I hear it's the preferred reading material in the men's bathroom at the Pentagon...Nope....I'm sure Apple has a few exceptionally vague patents and a "decease and desist" order request already filed just this type of occassion.... We just haven't heard about it yet...[/citation]

Arghhhhh come on, give 'em a break; I guess it could at least take some folks' minds of wasting money and starting wars, even if only for a couple of minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.