PlayStation 3 Manufacturing Costs Down 70%

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
@people complaining about $50 games: Take a teaspoon of concrete and harden up. Here in Australia we're paying $100 even when our dollar is almost the same value as yours so you're getting a good deal.

togenshi

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
@kato128 - ps3 games are region free, eg. buy your games at www.play-asia.com or something. Double check but im pretty sure you can play US games on EU ps3s. Though i know blu-ray movies are region based and so is psx/2 games. Beats paying in the ass at eb or gametraders.

Hell i bought my ps3 @ AU$1000 with software backwards compatibility. Still dont regret it till this day.
Though the only thing i would ask of Sony is mkv, h264 and flac codecs....

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]salsoolo[/nom]my only problem is ps3 games are little expensive.[/citation]

That simply means you have no idea how coding works these days.

You should've bitch about Wii's games than 360 or PS3.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't believe that they are costing 70% less to manufacture now than before. At 250$, it just doesn't feel real. No matter tho, maybe it's true and will prompt Sony to drop the price in the near future to have more people buy a PS3 so that more games can be sold on it. I want more games and can't find the good ones! :)

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Let's see. PS3 is at $399. It cost 70% less to make now.

399 - 279.30 = $119.70

I don't see how a couple buck trimmed off the top of an already overinflated price is a deal. (if they drop the price) If you are going to brag that it cost 70% less to make then charge 70% less for the product. There is no demand for it...nobody is buying it anymore.

Hell 50% off will put the price right at $200 (where it should have been for the last year). Sony will still be making money on the console since it cost 70% less to make it now. By pricing the PS3 at $200 they are promised to sell tons of those things. People will probably start buying 2 or 3 for that price.

Hockeyguyinoc

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Why does anyone believe what big business tells them. Of course I'm going to tell you I'm paying more than what I'm selling the system for so you will buy the outrageously priced systems. DVDs, Blu-Ray, hell cassette decks even, didn't cost what they were charging at first. Most of these articles are just regurgitating what they are told by the companies, so their facts are typically just what they were told. These companies know that the top 10 percent of people are dumb enough to buy it because they have to have it now for 10 times what it is worth. You just get fed some bull about how our production process for the first year or two was so expensive that we have to sell our new crap for $1000 and it costs of $1100 to make it. Then the consumers run out with their hard earned money and spend it on crap that breaks right away. Then magically 2-3 years later that same unit with improvements costs them 1/4th to make and you buy into it. The new PSP cheaper to make costs more, hmmm. It is plain and simple like Apple has said over and over again with iPod they don't charge what is reasonable for the product they charge what they know consumers will pay for it. Apple has even admitted they could charge less and still make a great profit. Yeah blu-ray disks are expensive but in reality how many of those games actually take up more than a DVDs worth of information...probably less than half. Magically if you buy the PC version it can play any resolution your hardware can handle and typically costs way less. Some of the games that are still going for $40 on xbox360 and ps3 are selling for $20 on pc because nobody will pay the $40. You think they include the PC industry in those same games at $20 because they like losing money or because they are making money no matter what they charge you...I guess the gaming industry that is making more money than the movie industry is somehow running negative. The industry has brought up costs with every generation of video game system because they know they have the crack that you guys want badly and are so addicted to. If you stopped buying it they would give you the same quality for less and less until you started buying it again. That is why ps3 with all the games were selling for $24,000 on ebay around Christmas time when it first came out. Its an addiction that people will throw their lives away for but are somehow too lazy to sign up for the pre-orders at $2,400 and save themselves $21,600. That is also why I buy used games 90% of the time. Just a waste to give away 60 bucks to finish a game in 5-6 hours when I can buy the game a year or two later for $20 that I know is a good game per reviews.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]p00dl3_h3r0[/nom]For real. I don't care how much they claim improvements have been made on he price of consoles. $50 for a game is ridiculously overpriced. It's like going to radioshack and buying 2 AA batteries for $6, when they cost pennies on the dollar to make. Whatever happened to making good games that people actually want to buy to drive up your profit instead of shady ways of bleeding dry an already bleeding industry?[/citation]

what world are you living in ? games havent costed 50 dollars in 5-6 years all games todaya re around 59.99 (aka 60 dollars) not 50 dollars, granted lower profile games do stil come out at 49.99 and even lower profile games come out at 39.99 but these are not the games you want to cherish and keep in the long run usually. They scertainly arnt the majority of games.

now what gets my shorts in a knot is the fact that many steam or digital released pc gmaes are stil costing the same as thier retail in store counter part , this pisses me off to no end as ther is NO physical cost on those games these gmes shoudl easily be sold starting at nothing more than 29.99 sicne you do not get the joy of actually owning a case, disc, and manuel.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]I agree, For $840? You can build a good gaming machine for tht price and top the PS3 easily.[/citation]

Must be kidding, ya lets see how good of a system you can build for the 400$ pricetag, 400$ = 1 good video card...ok lets talk motherboard...cpu...ram...HD...ya PS3 is a steal for what tech is actually inside of it. Really if 400$ is THAT much money for you..go get a nintendo ds and enjoy, a 400$ investment that youll have for years to come is very reasonable.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]anonymousdude[/nom]Then explain to me why 360 games cost the same $60. Dropping the price would sell more consoles increasing its user base which leads to more money for developers who would in turn make properly coded games for the PS3.[/citation]

because they can charge that much and get away with it. that's pretty much the only reason. how much does a bluray cost to manufacture anyway, probably a little less than a buck whereas a dvd possibly costs a fraction of a penny. still leaves a lot of margin for price either way.

the higher price keeps me from buying a ps3 even though I can afford it. xbox360 is relatively the same thing as far as graphics and gameplay go so it is rather irrelevant to own both.

kgrach

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I love to hear comments like the games are so over priced
Because we all know those 300 people who worked over two years on that game did it for free right.
Not to mention the building was rent free.
Oh yea they used donated PCs to code them on so they were free. The electricity was free because it was generated by using bicycles powered by 4000 cyclists who did it just for the exercise.
The game was delivered by faeries so no fuel or freight charges
The package is the only thing that cost money right.
OHH and the store that sold it to you don't need to make money because their employees like standing around and helping turds like you for free.
Speaking of retail we all know that Visa /Mastercard doesn't charge the stores a quarter a sale plus 4% of the end price including sales tax, because you guys are such nice people.

GAMES COST MONEY TO MAKE AND I DON'T MEAN THE PACKAGE.
THE DVD AND THE PACKAGE ARE INSIGNIFICANT TO THE PRICE OF A GAME.

Kgrach

PS THE PS3 does not need a price cut because it is still cheaper to own than an XBOX and best of all no console has to drag the MASSIVE overhead of Windows. If you make me do the MATH again and explain to you why XBOXS are more expensive I will hunt you down and beat you to death with a shovel.

kgrach

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
ohh the same goes for the cost of the console to make versus what your pay for it. You guys keep forgetting little things like frieght,customs,store profits which it needs for things like building utilities,employees,credit cards fees,state and federal taxes

kgrach

G

What I find Funny is that everyone is complaining that A game costs 50 Bucks. When the NES was at it's height of popularity in the 80's the games cost....Guess what 50 bucks.
The prices of games have not changed in the 20+ years of console gaming and it's not going to change much in the future either

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
@kgrach - Yes...and let's not forget that throughout all of this, Sony stands by and whines and cries and blames the internet and pirates and the full moon on why they cannot seem to make any money at all. blah blah blah....whine whine whine.

Meanwhile the MANY executives are making millions a year in salaries. Millions in bonuses. Millions in stock options. All at the same time thousands are being laid off.

Cry me a river moron.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]Cry me a river moron.[/citation]

What did that achieve >:|

You do raise some good points kgrach; I am helping a friend grow his business and when you see all the costs involved...

Status
Not open for further replies.