PlayStation Move Hits Best Buy Shelves Early

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Lets start off by getting some things straight; Playstation started experimenting with motion controls using the colored orbs back in 2001... so I am sorry to say that Sony is not copying the wii (although the success is a point for Sony to push the idea back to the front). As for being outsold, every comparison that I have seen is current Xbox vs PS3 sales. My problem with this is that the xbox has had 1 more year to sell its product over Sony. So a comparison of 2009 ps3 sales vs 2008 xbox sales would be more "accurate" (which according to SCEI there was 35.7 units sold from release-2009 while according to MS as far as I can tell they had sold 28 million from release to 2008. So removing the year gap Sony has outsold MS). As far as Wii goes Ill put that as the price difference.[/citation]
I do have to say that I don't doubt Sony started experimenting with a "motion-like" controller in the early 2000s considering the eyeToy for the PS2. Can't remember the name of the game on the PSN(to lazy to turn on my PS3, but you move a ball around a puzzle map), but it works on the exact same principles as the eyeToy games did. It recognized your hand movements and moved the object accordingly. I bet it was close to release, then pulled it because people wouldn't have gotten in like we do today, and thought it was all a gimmick; guess like a lot of people still think today with Kinect, PS Move, and the Wii.

Also, to anyone who thinks everyone copied he Wii in motion controls, you couldn't have been born before the 90s. Kids are too spoiled today. All they care about are graphics. Try sitting them in front of a Tempest, Asteroids, or Pac-Man machine (or Ms. Pac-Man) and see how long they last. I bet most of them say, "These graphics suck." I for one could be in front of those machines all day, still to this day :)

ktasley

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]todicamer[/nom]Lets start off by getting some things really straight; Nintendo was experimenting with motion controllers more than 20 years ago and released a product called Powerglove, it was the same concept; and yes i played with that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Glove[/citation]

omg fail...

via your source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Glove

"The Power Glove was originally released in 1989.[1] Though it was an officially licensed product, Nintendo was not involved in the design or release of this accessory. Rather, it was designed by the team of Grant Goddard and Sam Davis for Abrams Gentile Entertainment (AGE), made by Mattel in the United States[1] and PAX in Japan."

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]LOL "i already own a wii"I have a wii, ps3, and 2 xbox 360's[/citation]
Erm, cool I guess?

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
If the Wii wasn't such a huge success driving up sales with non-core gamers, Sony and MS would have no business case to get into motion detection gaming. Sony and MS are just following the trend. Can't really see any debate on that point. But very true that they probably can do much better with more powerful systems.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]letsgetsteve[/nom]Did you know that 90% of stats are completely unreliable because people like you use your back ally math to make numbers try and say what you want then to say. I agree with you on one point, i like the ps3 best, but other then that, it has been out sold and it was not the first to try motion controls. like todicamer has clarified for me what i meant is that without the major success of the Wii I'm not sold that Sony and ms would be pushing so hard to capture this market segment. have fun with your voodoo magic though[/citation]
Did you know that none of the math was made uo by me or twisted in anyway? PS3 source: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3_sale_e.html
Xbox source: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2009/jan09/01-05xboxbigyearpr.mspx
So I did not change/twist/manipulate the math at all. I just pointed out that the xbox had 1 full year of sales that the ps3 did not.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Did you know that none of the math was made uo by me or twisted in anyway? PS3 source: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/da [...] ale_e.html Xbox source: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass [...] earpr.mspx So I did not change/twist/manipulate the math at all. I just pointed out that the xbox had 1 full year of sales that the ps3 did not.[/citation]
The fact that the sbox360 had a full year more than PS3 only influences the total number of consoles. Almost every month that's gone by, the xbox360 outsells the ps3. Now with the introduction of the xbox360 slim it's outselling the ps3 by more than 60% and it's even outselling the Wii (something that the PS3 was never capable).

Also the idea to compare the sales of the ps3 in 2009 with the sales of the xbox360 in 2008 is simply retarded. The market is always fluctuating with changes. So only results from the same year are valid.

gatzby

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Ive got an angle on the X-Box out selling the PS3. I read about a post above about someone owning a Wii, a PS3 and 2 X-Boxes. Im guessing RROD or maybe buying the newer version.

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I'm waiting for the "revolutionary" 3D stuff to come out. While it obviously was not as good, the SEGA Master System (yes I'm showing my age) had 3D games in the late 80s early 90s. Zaxxon 3D YEA! It just goes to show that ideas aren't new, just technology and implementation

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The fact that the sbox360 had a full year more than PS3 only influences the total number of consoles. Almost every month that's gone by, the xbox360 outsells the ps3. Now with the introduction of the xbox360 slim it's outselling the ps3 by more than 60% and it's even outselling the Wii (something that the PS3 was never capable).Also the idea to compare the sales of the ps3 in 2009 with the sales of the xbox360 in 2008 is simply retarded. The market is always fluctuating with changes. So only results from the same year are valid.[/citation]
First the comparison of 2008 vs 2009 isn't a comparison of just that one year, it is a comparison of the release-year. Also the difference of sales between years is why I originally said that this is why its more "accurate"... but I was more making a point of a year difference between the overall sales. Now as far as the Xbox outselling the ps3 monthly I would like to see your source for the 60%. Also with the introduction of the xbox slim, yes it will sell more since its a newer version.

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]I do have to say that I don't doubt Sony started experimenting with a "motion-like" controller in the early 2000s considering the eyeToy for the PS2. Can't remember the name of the game on the PSN(to lazy to turn on my PS3, but you move a ball around a puzzle map), but it works on the exact same principles as the eyeToy games did. It recognized your hand movements and moved the object accordingly. I bet it was close to release, then pulled it because people wouldn't have gotten in like we do today, and thought it was all a gimmick; guess like a lot of people still think today with Kinect, PS Move, and the Wii.Also, to anyone who thinks everyone copied he Wii in motion controls, you couldn't have been born before the 90s. Kids are too spoiled today. All they care about are graphics. Try sitting them in front of a Tempest, Asteroids, or Pac-Man machine (or Ms. Pac-Man) and see how long they last. I bet most of them say, "These graphics suck." I for one could be in front of those machines all day, still to this day[/citation]

Actually...

The Power Glove was originally released in 1989.[1] Though it was an officially licensed product, Nintendo was not involved in the design or release of this accessory. Rather, it was designed by the team of Grant Goddard and Sam Davis for Abrams Gentile Entertainment (AGE), made by Mattel in the United States[1] and PAX in Japan.

So in essence Nintendo was not involved with the original design.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]First the comparison of 2008 vs 2009 isn't a comparison of just that one year, it is a comparison of the release-year. Also the difference of sales between years is why I originally said that this is why its more "accurate"... but I was more making a point of a year difference between the overall sales. Now as far as the Xbox outselling the ps3 monthly I would like to see your source for the 60%. Also with the introduction of the xbox slim, yes it will sell more since its a newer version.[/citation]
I don't care about the total number of consoles. When you comparing sales between products the time frame must be exactly the same.

November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010

Also here's a review of 2009 2009 Summary

True that since the xbox360 slim is new it's expected to sell more, but didn't the ps3 made a slim version in December 2009? It was the only month that the ps3 managed to outsell the xbox360 even though the margin was small.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I think the latest sales figures show the PS3 getting pretty close to the 360.

Of course, the Wii's miles and miles ahead of either of them.

Will be interesting to see how Kinect and Move go in the market... When Time Crisis: Razing Storm comes out I'll probably get Move.
But there's not a great deal of games for either Kinect or Move at the moment.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]Every time I see one of those Geek Squad VW's I want to run them smooth off the road.[/citation]

why? usually thier actual geek squad members who do home visits to fix things are the only ones who know anything about tech stuff at all, i have a few friends that do that and they get paid pretty well for mostly doing system restores and hooking up av equipment for morons .. not saying best buy is a place i'd shop but why wish harm on the decent people wo

GenSao

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]First the comparison of 2008 vs 2009 isn't a comparison of just that one year, it is a comparison of the release-year. Also the difference of sales between years is why I originally said that this is why its more "accurate"... but I was more making a point of a year difference between the overall sales. Now as far as the Xbox outselling the ps3 monthly I would like to see your source for the 60%. Also with the introduction of the xbox slim, yes it will sell more since its a newer version.[/citation]

A fair comparison would be Total Units Sold / Time On Market (Years) = Average Units Sold a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.