PlayStation Network Goes Back Online After DDoS Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldun

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
Now will Sony be giving away free things to buy back the customers who lost out on a decent chunk of gaming time?

coolitic

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Honestly, I think they are just losing a ton of money by not having decent security.

They just keep getting hacked and I don't know why they dont do much about it.

nismo9132

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I contacted them via Live Chat and they said that because we agreed to the terms and conditions, they don't have to do anything because they don't guarantee uptime of the service. I was only asking for the downtime to be added back into my PS+ subscription.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Any customer that is no longer a PSN customer due to a ddos attack wasn't a very good customer anyway, or already had one foot out the door, and using this situation as an excuse. Also, I highly doubt any significant portion of the customer base did leave PSN over this, or any other ddos attack.

nismo9132

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Come on... DDoS attacks have been around for a while now and there is technology out there to mitigate, even prevent, these attacks. Clearly Sony has not been diligent enough in terms of security. Regardless of whether the customer was "good" or not, they have the right to leave the service at anytime. I've personally bought Sony products for 10+ years now... TVs, Blu Ray Players, PS One through PS4, and I have to say their customer service has always been terrible whenever I have had to contact them. They make some good products, but I just don't see how you can blame anyone who wishes to leave PSN when clearly they cannot maintain their PSN service and just recently lost a ton of personal data of their employees.

Step up your security Sony....

David Claveau

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
Stop trolling, everyone can ben the target of hacker, they don't chose to be the target, every good compagny can be the target and they don't chose to be, when you play online you take the risk of that kind of probleme. The same problem has been see for blizzard and they have good security ... no system can resist to this kind of attack.

nismo9132

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Definitely not trolling, just being realistic. I understand they don't intend to be the target, but they sure can strengthen their defenses against such common attacks.There are defenses against these attacks... ie. Corero offers a DDoS attack prevention system (http://www.corero.com/products/Corero_DDS.html). It's in the past, but given the fact that they've already been shut down several times before due to DDoS attacks, why wouldn't you invest in some sort of defense?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
Last Sony product I think I got was a PS2, but with the occasional hacks on Sony (and this is not just recent, they seem yearly) I am sticking with the Microsoft side of things because their security seems to be in better hands.

David Claveau

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
Everything have a cost by our day, and that kind of protection for this kind of server are ridiculous, microsoft has been DDOS too and they also crashed up anyways. Do you think compagny like microsoft/sony didn't have that kind of product ? they buy the high end security for their server to preserved everything up this kind of organisation know how to bypass that. Nothing can really keep up this.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
@David Claveau:

"They buy the high end security for their server"... Sony. High end security.

The billions they're hemorrhaging because they only bothered to retain 7 IT security guys for a company of multiple hundreds doesn't make you question your claim that Sony is putting anything into security?

Seriously, I'm no fanboy of microsoft, but saying that anybody who has gotten fed up with Sony paying absolutely zero attention to security when it's burnt them dozens of times, with Sony having horrible customer service, with Sony getting as much from their customers as they possibly can... saying that someone fed up with all of that is a bad customer, or that Sony has done everything they can, is kind of ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.