Question Please help with my laptop if u can?

Jul 21, 2019
Hi my HP Pavilion g6 series was working fine and i moved house n turned it on n it came on for about 5 mins n that it now has a black screen. I have left it off for a few weeks n turned it on to still have the same problem. Can hear fan n start up but get nothing. Please help if u can. I dont want to lose photos, etc on it. Thanks

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
First thing's first ... you need to try to get the files that you want off the hard drive.

To do so you could use a bootable USB of Windows and a little bit of minor trickery as seen in the following linked video (I.e., backup the data to an external hard drive without booting into the oboard Windows installation on the hard drive):

View: https://youtu.be/LwK4Zkp0AQM

If you have deep underlying issues you may not be able to do so blindly without a working monitor, so to test if this is a monitor issue of the laptop display only, attach the laptop to an external display (E.g., TV) via HDMI ... if there is no display on either the computer or TV then ...

... the alternative is to remove the drive from the machine and directly connect it to an appropriate spare connector on another PC or place it in an external USB connectable enclosure (again connected to a working PC's USB port) which will allow you to access the files and back them up if the hard drive is not the issue and it is not corrupted so much as to not allow you to do so.

If neither of the monitors work then it could be time to seek out an authorised repair center or scrap the machine and get a new one (IF CHEAPER OPTION) AFTER trying a clean install of Windows to rule out corrupt Windows software installation or (more than likely Graphics driver issue) rather than a hardware issue.

Jul 24, 2011
hello tinkerbell123! nice to meet you

1. does it pass the POST test?
  2. check all cables and cords
  3. are you using internet? disconnected internet and do a fresh boot
  4. attach it to a secondary monitor
  5. once files are backed up, reinstall the OS
  6. boot computer

if problems persist, individually test all hardware equipment

7. it is unlikely it there is a RAM problem, but if problems persist by step #7, perform a memtest

i hope this helps my friend
sincerly,
:)Captain Kirk USS Enterprise:)