PLUGGED in charger not charging the battery - DELL

dartleader

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
Hi, I have a dell N5110 laptop and it is about 3 years old. It only works when I have the power charger connected to it. I recently purchased a new dell battery but the battery does not charge up now.

Currently the laptop works under the following condition

1) Connect laptop charger all the time. Incase the charger is removed, the laptop works in the battery that is placed.
2) Since the battery is not charging, the battery will eventually die out meaning that I would be back to what it was initially.

I noticed that the pin near my laptop charger dock is jammed but the laptop still works without charging battery. Any thoughts?

I checked with the company that issued the new battery and they said that the charger is compatible with the 65W charger that I have.

dartleader

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

I dont think that it is the battery pin since a new battery is able to discharge fine. Is it a problem with my laptop charger pin (where I connect my charger to)? If so, how is the laptop able to work with the charger connected in the pin.

Would like to know more information before I end up opening the laptop.. Let me know!

So where is this bent / broken pin? You can tell where the battery contacts go to the laptop, is it there? Keep in mind that those pins have different jobs, for example one pin could be there to read the charge state and if that is broken it may see the battery as full or something. So one bad pin may not prevent the battery from working if charged already. If the battery is a 3rd party one, it may be that is the issue. Tough to diagnose this very well, if you have access to another batter if the one you got was not from Dell. Did you check with Dell support already?

jackwacksmack

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
I have the exact same problem. I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 and I got this problem. I received a new battery today and the problem persists. I am having trouble telling whether it is the pin where the charger enters or the pins where the battery plugs into :/