Pocketables Accidentally Reveals Mirasol Ereader

Status
Not open for further replies.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Nice display, in color as well. Certainly not a lot of fps, but as an e-reader that's not so important.

Will be curious.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
It's about time companies invested some more into trans reflective display technologies. All mobile gadgets would benefit tremendously from actually being watchable / readable under direct light.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I've lost track of how many accidental releases there have been from various companies. Either there deliberate releases or incompetence seems to be ruling corporate America.

kookoo88

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
This sounds amazing. I've been debating which eReader to buy my wife. Hmmm . . . I may have to wait a year.
I'm curious as to whether or not it needs an entirely new file type, or if it will read the same files as a computer or different eReader? Trying to get a manuscript to work for 10 different file types is a pain in the . . . keyboard.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
This is what will make all intelligent people, who have been holding off buying a tablet, finally buy a tablet! This is the future of screens, and not only tablets, but also phones and LCD's, both computer and TV. If you want, then you can turn of a backlight to read/work/play in areas with lower ambient light.

If they can double the fps (at 24), they can start thinking about video. And if they double that (at 48 fps), we can start thinking about TV's and LCD monitor to play our games. It's a lot less eyestrain. Like reading a book!

I bet in 3-4 years even the iPad will have a screen with this technology.

cbtk

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Mirasol looks a LOT better than E-Ink Triton (color). The refresh that I've seen on the preproduction Tritons had a TERRIBLE refresh.. looked like 1 frame every 2-3 seconds. Perhaps it's the processing of the graphics but still.. it would NOT be suitable for a children's book. IPAD will not incorporate Mirasol as it is too slow and not backlit. They have to much streaming video content. Ipad WILL likely partner with Pixel Qi.

G

Triton is good for just an e-reader but not for a tablet. If your main purpose is to view and read books, magazines, comic books, graphic novels, cookbooks, charts/graphs, maps, photos, and any colored static print, then this is good enough. The e-Reader employing Triton will therefore be cheaper than Mirasol equipped devices which will be able to handle 24fps and view video. Do not forget Liquavista....they may be the first to handle gaming on an e-reader device using EPD. May be available Thanksgiving 2011!

G

FYI, I've been holding out for a color eReader and 2011 is the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.