Police Raid PS3 Hacker's Home

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Metaddicta[/nom]get your heads out of your asses. You dont have any' rights' at all you do not fight for. Sony has it's rights and these people are voilating them. Sony has the right to say how to use the devices and can and will stop these fucks.[/citation]
Sony very specifically doesn't have the rights to tell consumers how to use their own products. Once a consumer purchases the Sony PlayStation 3 console, all rights of ownership transfer from the distributor of the product to the consumer who purchased it. Consumers don't except an end user licensing agreement when purchasing the item. They don't sign contracts, or even make verbal agreements. The consumer has every right to do whatever they wish to the PS3.

In this case, this guy won't receive jail time, primarily because he hasn't done anything more than break the Terms of Service for Sony's online component. They won't be able to justify breaking into his home and stealing his crap, let alone criminal charges.

And considering what they've done at this point, they probably severely hurt their chances at winning any type of civil suit as well.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]Seriously though, If you purchase the console, then you have the right to do with it as you please, it is not Sony's property anymore.[/citation]
Not quite. You CAN do whatever you want with it, BUT play copied games. Sony doesn't care if you want to deep fry it and try to eat it, either.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Not quite. You CAN do whatever you want with it, BUT play copied games. Sony doesn't care if you want to deep fry it and try to eat it, either.[/citation]

See, I remember back in the day, if you bought a sony CD burner and installed it in your pc, they had some hardware/chip that detected store purchased music cd's you you were not able to make a back up copy of the disc, which is perfectly legal (as long as you do not give it to some one else to copy).

If I have a PS3 Game on their proprietary DVD's and it gets scratched up for some reason, and they do not offer to replace the disc for free, Legally you have the right to keep a backup of that data.

The world is really changing and consumers are loosing rights everywhere. If enough people sued Sony they would think a little different or raise the prices so high that they would not be able to market or sell their products.

They can charge 10 million dollars for a PS3, and they might sell 100 of them instead of a few million. Go figure.

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
[citation][nom]PudgyChicken[/nom]I guarantee that Sony has wasted more money persecuting Geohot and Graf_chokolo then they'd ever even dream of losing in damages... I can only see hacked consoles being a way for them to make money, i mean, plenty of people bought the console expressly to run Linux, and even being able to do that with a hacked console is a buying point... So they're shooting themselves in the foot. Good job Sony![/citation]

First off, I fully support these guys. However selling all those systems to people who want to expressly use them for linux is actually a loss to them because they sell the systems at a loss and make it up on games. That's why the system is relatively cheap and the games at 60 bucks.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
The thing is Sony owns the technology in every PS3 made and we don't have the right to reverse engineer it. Yes I know the failed logic of buying a piece of hardware and believe to "own" it to make changes whatever the purchaser sees fit. It's not really the case, the hardware designed to run their special software and that's about it. They threw in Linux support as a bonus and that got abused.

I am defending Sony for the right to protect their technology. However they are dead wrong of going about it. They might as well stop making PS3 and put Linux support back in. And start working on PS4 because now with hacker's knowledge in the wild Sony won't be able to protect it anymore.

Even Microsoft wouldn't be this stupid to pull something like this.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
There are a lot of people out there like Graf_chokolo,although there are many that will say that he was an individual...An individual he was not,but he was just part of many that opened up his mouth just that too wide...When you open up your mouth too wide you know for sure that people will spread your name around & thus more likely to get caught and he did...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Although illegal what he done,maybe it was for his own benefit...He could of become some other kind of criminal you know,maybe one of those violent ones that could of caused the death of people instead...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey dfhrtjtyj...Real bad man,just so bad...You say "click on our website" & I had...You say you got the right,to post that add...The smile on my face was wiped & no more was I glad...Now since I have left your site,I know I've been had...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey dfhrtjtyj...Why don't you just start to pay for your adds & people like me won't have to be conned into buying any faulty or fake products man...People seeing your free add on a post that you chuck up on this thread may believe that you really have got some bargains,but you don't...All you have to do is chuck your adds somewhere else,so we do not have to read them & we will not have to meet again on these posts to discuss these issue's...

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I don't think its that clear cut, he may have hacked Sony network unbanning himself or something. They probably followed his ip and based on that hacking action on THEIR network he got raided. Sony wouldn't know if you hacked your own PS3 that never got connected to a network. We all maybe mixing up details that are not connected.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
meh consoles iCrap same thing. just put the disc in your pc install a nice lil patch and you're all set to go, no console needed. seriously, why waste $300 on a console, that's enough $ for a great video card every time they put out a new console. WHY WOULD YOU WASTE THAT MONEY!?

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Since when the does a Civil Lawsuit, not a criminal one, result in a police raid?

What country does Graf_chokolo live in? Wish this author was a little better at reporting facts.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Metaddicta[/nom]get your heads out of your asses. You dont have any' rights' at all you do not fight for. Sony has it's rights and these people are voilating them. Sony has the right to say how to use the devices and can and will stop these fucks.[/citation]

I like your drugs i really want some... Are you high or stupid? I have the right to do whatever i want with whatever i buy besides use it to hurt someone say as a weapon or course. I can take it apart and put it back together i can do whatever the hell i want. As long as i don't use it to steal games the most sony can and should be able to do is deny me access to their on line game play if i mod the box for cheats or enhanced game play of any kind and deny me warranty services. Anything more then that and it should be a CRIME! something i can sue sony over. what they did to these two guys should land them law suits that would cripple their wallets. if you think otherwise you sir are one of the biggest idiots i have ever "met" I personally am now boycotting anything sony from now on. I was going to perhaps buy their new hand held or a phone of theirs but no freaking way in hell now. im sick of these companies acting like they are above the law. One of these people they mess with and horridly break their rights is going to have the money to put sony in a hurt locker and i really hope that happens soon.

This ones for you sony ,,I,, and you can go f your self.

leadpoop

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I for one will not be buying anything from Sony for awhile. Sony sold me my PS3 as a computer that I could run linux on, Hell the advertised it! So F-you Sony I'll do what I want with my PS3.

G

this remind me of Ensei Tankado's work in Digital Fortress (Dan Brown) and it;s FUUN.

fozzie76

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Remember that Sony is the same company that killed SWG in a single patch! The same company that pushed out Vanguard years before it was ready. On the bright side they save millions of dollars a year by hiring brain dead monkeys to run their board of directors!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
to the people sayign it sillegal to mod your console... its not, there has been legal precident that you cannot be subject to criminal or civil action for modifying hardware or software provided you do not use that mod to steal other ip's so if you mod a console to add a function such as adding linux or other ope source software, or moifying a console to add backups for legitimatly purchased software you are within your rights.

they (sony) are also in thier rights to ban you from thier network for violating thier end user agreement however that is teh extent of thier power UNTIL they can prove you have violated IP law by installing or modifying a console and uploaded pirated software. at this point you would be liable for breaking ip laws and could be prosecuted as such

me personally i elected not to update my ps3 as i use it also for a dvr due to modding and didn't want to lose that functionality. as i also didn't want to buy another ops3 and no titles have been worth it thus far to warrent losing my ps3 dvr i have not bought a single ps3 title since and have only been buying only for my pc or xbox 360, sony lost sales with thier decition to drop linux but that was their decition as a company , and its a users choice to mod thier console and thus lose access to psn... but thats the extent, sony should lose this and be countersued provided he didn't pirate anything, now if he did put unauthorised stolen non open soarse or self written code on there... then he's boned

natural11

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I'm not sure why everyone is defending this guy and hating on Sony. Do you like trying to play online when there are hackers in the server? Play some PC games online for a while and you'll begin to understand how hacking ruins online gameplay.

The argument that it's his property and he can do what he wants with it is retarded. If he's keeping it to himself he could turn his PS3 into a washing machine and Sony wouldn't give a crap. The problem is spreading his hacks to the community. How can you compare that to modifying your car? That has no impact on other drivers or the company you purchased it from.

Would you rather Sony ignored the hacking community and killed online play altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.