Police Raid PS3 Hacker's Home

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It's interesting that Sony first failed to embrace the internet when it had an opportunity to do so; then began suing its clients; and is now having them arrested. Time for Sony to go the way of all good dinosaurs. I tend to doubt the government can prop it up, even using the unconstitutional Copyright Act, but Homeland Security, ICE, and DOJ are doing their best. They have way too much time and money on their hands, clearly. In any event, it's good that Sony showed their hands to everyone - including parents who buy their products for their children. Who wants to buy a product that can lead to a child's arrest? Perhaps law enforcement. This matter has not even been litigated and neither has file sharing. Stop buying records. Stop buying their products. Let them win their little battles and lose the war.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]idiots its not the fact that he modified the console its the fact he put the information on how to hack the console all over the web.[/citation]

It still is retarded there too. If its not illegal to do a thing, but illegal to tell OTHERS how to do the thing... just how does that play? That goes against the idea of human nature to be social creatures. Its like being put under an NDA with no expiration.

To me, that is just business colluding with government to uphold a really stupid business model.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
So , what the hell sony just go and do your damn bussines, but once we pay for our stuff we are free to do whatever we want, this is not your bussines.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]idiots its not the fact that he modified the console its the fact he put the information on how to hack the console all over the web.[/citation]

So if he did nothing illegal by doing it which he most definitely did not. Showing someone how to not do something illegal is illegal? Like i said before Sony has an option. They can ban you from on line play and refuse warranty service. Anything else is just abusive power tripping. If anything this guy has given people a reason to buy that POS console that would have over looked it after they took out advertised features. Isn't false advertising illegal ? or do only made up crime get prosecuted now?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Sorry, but the comments here, while typical are also quite ignorant. This guy isn't a hero, he's a criminal. A self-confessed criminal at that. These are the same exact techniques that we deride China for when it comes to our technology. Just because he isn't on a payroll doesn't change the fact that he has intentionally bypassed security features placed to protect copyrighted intellectual property. On top of it he attempted to blackmail Sony (another felony) into not perusing their RIGHT to seek prosecution. There is no excuse here, there is no way of seeing it in which the man is an innocent victim. We willingly and knowingly broke the law, he proceeded to brag about it to anyone that would listen and or read it (while sharing proprietary information). I don't care if you agree or disagree with what should be, according to today's law he's a criminal and I see no wrong doing by Sony in this regard. This is the reason why PC games have declined in both numbers and quality over the past decade. it's this same reason that console gaming will follow suit. There's plenty of reasons to hate Sony, this just isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.