Portable laptop for architecture

Alesssandra

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Hello,
I'm an architecture student and I'm practically freaking out because I need a new laptop right away.
My biggest concern is that it has to be portable. So anything heavier than 2.5 kg is too much for my weak arms.
I used to have a Lenovo SL410 and I have absolutely no complains besides the fact that it was too bulky and not the prettiest laptop out there. It didn't have any extra graphic card and it worked perfectly fine with everything (even after 4 years).

I wouldn't have changed it if it wasn't because it literally broke.

So,

1. Budget?
I don't really care, although of course I would prefer the cheapest option

2. Size?
I prefer a 14'' because of its portability. But if a better option comes with a 15'' I'd take it (but it really needs to be light)

3. Screen resolution?
Whatever you can recommend me.

4. It has to be a portable laptop

5. Battery?
Anything over 4 hours is perfect

6. I do not play games

7. I work with: AutoCad, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign.
Not that regularly I also work with: Rhino and 3dsMax (in this sense I don't know how important a graphics card really is, my Lenovo worked perfectly without any special card and just 4gb of RAM.

Although, RAM for me is very important.
I would prefer something that could expand to 16gb. (Although, I'm open to whatever you recommend)

8. Storage?
The more the better, although, I guess I could always get an external hard drive

9. If I can buy it online it's better, but that's not a problem.

10. I'm planning to keep my laptop for 3 years

11. My ideal laptop would be:
Intel core i7, windows 8, 16gb of RAM, 14'', thin and not heavy (1.5-2.5kg). This is VERY hard to find.

12. Brands?
I had a great experience with Lenovo, but I've been researching on Dell and it seems very good too.

Any help is welcome, I've been researching for over 2 weeks now and I cannot find anything that fits this patterns.

I checked out Dell Latitude 6340u and I really like it, its the best one I've found, but I since I don't know about graphics cards, I don't know how important it would be that this one just has intel hd 4000.

I also saw Dell XPS15, the only problem is how heavy it is.

Solution
The Asus N550JV-DB71 comes to mind (though weighing in at about 2.7kg :()

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N550JV#specifications

Note: Those are 'umbrella' specs. There are variations of that model, so that is why you see multiple specs for individual things. For example, the model we carry specifically is the N550JV-DB71. Where you purchase from will depict which N550JV you get (if you were to purchase it, that is).

In any case, you will need a dedicated video card for the type of work you'll be doing. It's not a bad idea to look at the system requirements for the software applications you specifically intend to use, and then shop around for notebooks that at least meet - if not exceed - those demands.

Good luck!
The Asus N550JV-DB71 comes to mind (though weighing in at about 2.7kg :()

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N550JV#specifications

Note: Those are 'umbrella' specs. There are variations of that model, so that is why you see multiple specs for individual things. For example, the model we carry specifically is the N550JV-DB71. Where you purchase from will depict which N550JV you get (if you were to purchase it, that is).

In any case, you will need a dedicated video card for the type of work you'll be doing. It's not a bad idea to look at the system requirements for the software applications you specifically intend to use, and then shop around for notebooks that at least meet - if not exceed - those demands.

Good luck!

Solution

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Look into various companies 'Ultrabooks' I would try and get one with an SSD because you will not have to worry about it getting damaged while traveling/bumping/shaking, plus it really speeds up everything you do.

Alesssandra

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I've been researching and found Sony Vaio S 13. It seems to have everything I need: 12gb of ram, an intel core i7 processor, it's light, and even a dedicated graphics card. But, I've never had a Sony Vaio, I don't know how reliable they are. Any opinions? I've heard that Sony isn't the best delivering quality products.

Momo Iko

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Sony Vaio is a great prodcut IMO, if you think it suits your needs then go for it. My friend bought Sony Vaio 2 years ago and the laptop is still doing amazing. :)