Portable laptop for programming

larryn

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014
I want to change my Dell Studio 1749 with a more portable one. I want something with i5 or i3 (preferable ULV), good battery, matte screen (or anti glare) and preferable resolution 1600x900. What would you recommend? I am looking at:
Dell Latitude 3440 (is this i3 enough? should I look for an i5?)
Dell XPS 14 looks nice but has few minuses: aluminium case - a lot of users complains about low wifi signal, gets too hot when working under load, can't replace the battery, just 1 RAM slot, looks like a lot of people had problems with xps 14.

I am also considering Lenovo Thinkpad T430 and Lenovo Thinkpad L440 but I like more the Dell's. What would you recommend?

I am open to any other suggestion as long as it is easy to be carried. I will use the laptop just for programming (web development - PHP, html, some virtual machines running Linux), I don't really need too much power (like i7, dedicated video card), I would appreciate more a good screen, good keyboard and good battery.

peterorl

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I would definately recommend Thinkpad T430. I am an owner for 2 months and it is great. It is not getting too hot while working. I am also very pleased with its high quality of materials used.

STACKS ON DECK

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
for programming point of view you don't need to be worried about heat . an i3 of dell latitude or xps 14 is enough . xps is nice one . . limited slot of ram is an issue but overall it is best to buy

larryn

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014
Between Dell Latitude 3440 and Lenovo Thinkpad L440 what would you choose? Both have i5, 4Gb RAM, good battery, just the Dell has ULV cpu. Do you see any drastically performance improvement for Lenovo since it's CPU is not ULV?