Possible Logitech Z-5500 Replacement

EricJK1991

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
Hi, I purchased a Logitech Z-5500 in 2008 and was pretty happy with it up until recently. Lately the control pod will produce a constant buzzing noise when sound is not going through it and if I hook it up via optical connection I will get a really loud buzzing noise when i'm not playing sound through it. I have ruled out my sound card and cables being the problem and believe I need a new control pod. Instead of paying about $140 for a new one on ebay I was looking for a new system that would give me better mid-range and highs than my current system. This is what I was currently looking at http://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-5-1-channel-home-theater-speaker-system-with-subwoofer-and-receiver/4964493.p?id=1218587134731&skuId=4964493. Would this system be an upgrade or would I be better off just buying a new control pod or possibly building my own 5.1 system?

Solution
the z5500 speakers are the best you will find for pc speakers, period. to get better you need home theater speakers and the z5500 amp will not power those.

we picked up a sony strdh540 for $200 a few years back and its been working out pretty well in the other room considering the price. you may want to look at these suggestions here though http://avproductreviews.com/best-av-receivers-under-300

the energies are 100w max @ 8ohm so any of those should work.
typically i try to avoid suggesting HTIB (home theater in a box) type solutions as they can be rather limited. most make big claims on wattage but actual sound quality is often okay at best and many lack build quality and extra features. its not uncommon for them to lack 5.1 inputs and i've even seen a model with hdmi only support 2.0 while it should have supported 5.1 (cant say if the model you picked out supports 5.1 via hdmi)

as far as good low cost speakers are concerned the energy 5.1 classic take for $350 paired up with a $150-200 receiver are quite good. if that is a bit too high shelf for you then you could try the speaker clones of that set by monoprice called the 9774 for $230 paired up with a receiver.

apparently the new z906 isnt terrible either but not quite as good as the old z5500. the energy take set though is better.

if you can pick up a z5500 control pod used but working for cheap that might be the best/cheapest fix. $140 new seems a bit steep.

EricJK1991

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

I have a feeling this is going to be a tough decision for me to make, that energy setup you mentioned certainly sounds appealing. If I decide to just get a control pod for the Z5500, would replacing my current satellite speakers with better ones improve the mid and high range part of my system or would there probably be no difference? Also is there any 5.1 receivers you could recommend that are under $300.00 in case I go with the energy system + receiver setup?

the z5500 speakers are the best you will find for pc speakers, period. to get better you need home theater speakers and the z5500 amp will not power those.

we picked up a sony strdh540 for $200 a few years back and its been working out pretty well in the other room considering the price. you may want to look at these suggestions here though http://avproductreviews.com/best-av-receivers-under-300

the energies are 100w max @ 8ohm so any of those should work.

Solution

EricJK1991

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

I will definitely look into those receivers. Thanks for the link and all your help ssddx, I greatly appreciate it.