power/reset button wont even power down HP motebook

art_5_

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Hello i have a HP G60-447Cl notebook that came with Vista Home Premium and I ran a hard drive test from the HP setup utility which failed at 82% which i was kind of expecting but when i hit <esc> to back out my screen froze where it was at and when i tried to hold the power/reset button to shut it down nothing happens.My battery is non-removable so that option is out. Short of just lettting the battery run out I have no clue how to turn it off. Does any one know of any thing that can help me or have a theory as to what caused this in the first place.

Solution
Well, if the hard drive is going, there are a few options that could have caused your problem.

If it still won't turn off, I would suggest letting the battery drain fully and then leaving it drained for a few hours before any attempt to work with it again. Then plug it in and see if it will boot up, without freezing. If not, turn it off (or let it drain again), and try booting in "Safe Mode". If it will boot then, the problem isn't hardware, but software. If it won't boot even in "Safe Mode" then you should consider changing out the drive to see if this will resolve your problem.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe...
Well, if the hard drive is going, there are a few options that could have caused your problem.

If it still won't turn off, I would suggest letting the battery drain fully and then leaving it drained for a few hours before any attempt to work with it again. Then plug it in and see if it will boot up, without freezing. If not, turn it off (or let it drain again), and try booting in "Safe Mode". If it will boot then, the problem isn't hardware, but software. If it won't boot even in "Safe Mode" then you should consider changing out the drive to see if this will resolve your problem.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

Solution