Question Prebuild or custom build? please read and share your thoughts!!!

Kiterule

Estimable
Apr 27, 2016
Hi everyone,
am trying to decide which laptop will best suit my needs for 3d cad and render applications. I use autocad, rhino, vray, twinmotion and photoshop simultaneously .
The two i have in mind are:

XMG Apex
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900
GPU: RTX 2070 refresh
RAM: 32Gb samsung 3200
SSD: 500GB samsung evo 970

GIGABYTE AORUS 15P XC
CPU: INTEL i7-10870H
GPU: RTX 3070
RAM: 32Gb
SSD: 500GB

please share any thoughts, comments or reviews that will help me decide.

Thank you all!!!!

Biggest difference between then is the video card, the 3070 is quite a bit faster than the 2070. CPU is pretty equal, the Ryzen has more cores and threads.
You need to check your programs and see if they use GPU acceleration, in which case the Gigabyte with the 3070 would be good. If they just run well with more cores, the XMG.
The systems are balanced overall, one has advantage in CPU cores, other in video card.

Reactions: Kiterule

Kiterule

Estimable
Apr 27, 2016
Biggest difference between then is the video card, the 3070 is quite a bit faster than the 2070. CPU is pretty equal, the Ryzen has more cores and threads.
You need to check your programs and see if they use GPU acceleration, in which case the Gigabyte with the 3070 would be good. If they just run well with more cores, the XMG.
The systems are balanced overall, one has advantage in CPU cores, other in video card.
Hi and thank you for replying. The 3d render and cad programs are divided in two. Half of them are using CPU power and the other GPU. I think at the end i will choose the Apex since i can upgrade the CPU later and if the company releases a bios update i will be able to use ZEN 3 processors. Most of the render software recommend rtx 2070 and am sure with the new rtx 3070 will be better aka faster than the 2070. These kind of laptops are for a timeframe of 5 years max so i believe been able to upgrade the CPU it will be more beneficial than just having a bit faster GPU. Thank you !!!

Hi and thank you for replying. The 3d render and cad programs are divided in two. Half of them are using CPU power and the other GPU. I think at the end i will choose the Apex since i can upgrade the CPU later and if the company releases a bios update i will be able to use ZEN 3 processors. Most of the render software recommend rtx 2070 and am sure with the new rtx 3070 will be better aka faster than the 2070. These kind of laptops are for a timeframe of 5 years max so i believe been able to upgrade the CPU it will be more beneficial than just having a bit faster GPU. Thank you !!!

Don't count on being able to upgrade laptop CPUs, most systems you can't do that since they are not sitting in a socket but soldered to the motherboard.