Presario V6000 Win7

melodys_night

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
How can I find out what hardware my laptop has in it. I know that the same models have different devices installed. Plus I didn't get it new. This was given to me by a friend. It is running really crappy and I am not enjoying my experience on it at all. LOL Can anyone help me?? I love computers but this one is making me rethink, "Why?" LOL

Solution

Go to the vendor's support site, see what drivers they have for it. If they don't have Windows 7 drivers you can see what the XP drivers are and go from there finding Win 7 drivers if the system does not pick them up automatically. If you look at the hardware in Device Manager, you can get the hardware ID of the device and look that up as well.

The laptop lists 2 GB...
Install Speccy, run it, will tell you what CPU, RAM and drive is in the system. Based on the model, there is no good news for you, it's old and slow, probably with very low RAM amount and an old aging hard drive. It may not even have a SATA drive but an ATA one which means drive upgrades are just about out of the question and it has a max of 2GB RAM from what I see. Good news is that you can get a newer ATA drive for it, bad news, it is a lot slower than modern SSD drives and costs about what the laptop does on it's own https://www.amazon.com/KingSpec-2-5-inch-Solid-SM2236-Controller/dp/B008RWKFYE/ref=pd_sim_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JC4XA4JSGH270D9H6QTN

Best thing to do if you want to use it, install the new drive in it, and install a light Linux version on it to maximize speed. Try Lubuntu.

melodys_night

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply. I have made changes to the laptop already, I guess I should have mentioned that, sorry. LOL I have 3g of memory in it and a 1tb hard drive (SATA). What I need to know is other devices too, like the sound card and video so that I get the correct drivers. I think it had XP on it and I now have Windows 7 Ultimate. Does that help ,more??

Go to the vendor's support site, see what drivers they have for it. If they don't have Windows 7 drivers you can see what the XP drivers are and go from there finding Win 7 drivers if the system does not pick them up automatically. If you look at the hardware in Device Manager, you can get the hardware ID of the device and look that up as well.

The laptop lists 2 GB as max RAM, you have all 3 GB in the system showing as usable?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS