News Prime membership is increasing to $139/year — here's how to avoid the price hike

Feb 4, 2022
You can set a delivery date in the future, I had mine delivered to me 3 days before my subscription ends.

Feb 4, 2022
My daughter gets one day shipping because she lives close to Amazon shipping warehouses. I don't get one day shipping with Prime any longer since covid arrived. I should be offered a lower price because of this. I pay by the month so I will just cancel before the price increase and wait a week or longer for my orders. Wait! Already takes that long!

Reactions: TMC2022
Feb 4, 2022
Thanks, Louis for the workaround.

So if the membership renewal date is i.e. on February 25th, I should manually end the membership on Feb 24th? Then apply the prime membership gift right after?

Feb 5, 2022
I'm going to cancel this silly money pit. Yes, I saw 2-day shipping during the 30 day free trial period, but maybe once or twice when I joined. On the movie stuff, I might have watched one of two movies that they offered, the rest you had to pay. I find it amazing on these streaming services that they see what movies people are watching, and then they monetize them. I don't mean recent movies, but popular ones 10, 20, or 40 + years old. Thank goodness for my public library, most times they carry the movies on DVD.

Feb 6, 2022
I am getting out of this carousel. Cancel and save tons of money, not just 139 bucks but all the crap I buy because it's easy and I'll get it tomorrow. I am out of this idiocy.

johnathon007

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Raising the price and removing guaranteed shipping in almost every case is the thing that is going to finally get me to cancel Prime. The last 3-4 years since they started using the USPS for delivery was a disaster but charging extra for it is too much.

Reactions: TMC2022

g90814

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
They locked my account due to 'suspicious activity' when I purchased a gift prime membership today. Payback? I think so.
They even cancelled the gift card purchase. I think I don't need Prime anymore.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022
They did the same to me 3 times! I finally was told that if you try to order a gift membership before the increase you will get your account locked. Do not try it, I got locked 3 times!

louis_ramirez

Deals Editor
Herald
Jan 11, 2019
So can you do this more than once? I'll gift like 5 memberships, I doubt it's getting any cheaper lol
I believe you can. The only downside to gifting yourself multiple memberships is that you'll have to pay the entire cost upfront. (Two years will cost you $238 for example).

louis_ramirez

Deals Editor
Herald
Jan 11, 2019
Thanks, Louis for the workaround.

So if the membership renewal date is i.e. on February 25th, I should manually end the membership on Feb 24th? Then apply the prime membership gift right after?
Correct! You'll want to end it a day early to avoid Amazon automatically renewing you at the higher price.

louis_ramirez

Deals Editor
Herald
Jan 11, 2019
They locked my account due to 'suspicious activity' when I purchased a gift prime membership today. Payback? I think so.
They even cancelled the gift card purchase. I think I don't need Prime anymore.
Did they really? There's nothing in the FAQ that says you can't gift yourself a membership. (I did it back in 2018 when they last increased the price and it worked for me).

louis_ramirez

Deals Editor
Herald
Jan 11, 2019
Raising the price and removing guaranteed shipping in almost every case is the thing that is going to finally get me to cancel Prime. The last 3-4 years since they started using the USPS for delivery was a disaster but charging extra for it is too much.
During the start of Covid, deliveries were (understandably) slow. However, shipping has been fast for me as of late. It definitely varies based on whether you live in a major city or a more rural area. In NYC, shipments are usually on time/fast.

Feb 11, 2022
Just talked to customer service and they said they will NOT allow you to buy the gift membership until it goes up. To me that is false advertising. But since they are so big I guess they can do that with no consequences. I will report them to the FTC anyways.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Just talked to customer service and they said they will NOT allow you to buy the gift membership until it goes up. To me that is false advertising. But since they are so big I guess they can do that with no consequences. I will report them to the FTC anyways.
And I bought a gift membership at $119, a week ago.
Recipient == Me, to be delivered 3 days before my current runs out in December.