Printer problem with Acrobat Reader v11

GeordieLad

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014
When I print a slightly oversize document and opt for Custom Scale of 90%, the printer first adds about half an inch blank space at the top which negates the required scale reduction. Printing the same document at 100% shows no problem. Why is this and how can I eliminate the irritating additional top space?

A possible solution, of course, is to select a slightly smaller paper size (say, B5 instead of A4) but I'd rather have full control of the size reduction.

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP3 and the printer I'm using is a dot matrix Oki ML182 Elite IBM Compatible (OK, have a good laugh!).

Any thoughts on this problem?

In the "Print" dialog of Adobe Reader (Page Size & Handling), try the "Fit" option instead of messing with scaling which is basically just guess-work to a large degree.

The "Fit" option always works for me, content fits on the page exactly, with no excessive white-space anywhere.

GeordieLad

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for your comment and suggestion. Unfortunately, your solution is the one I'm trying to avoid. If I have a fixed (but non-standard) paper size I can't use the "Fit to size" solution. If Acrobat had a Custom paper size (such as that in Word) I'd have no problem.

Whatever, thanks for the thought. If anyone else sees this, any further thoughts?

GeordieLad

GeordieLad

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Thanks again for your swift reply Phillip but none of the printers to which I have access offers the Custom Size option which I have in MS Word. I'm using the following Print settings: Properties>Paper/Quality>Advanced and, although the paper size options vary for the four printers whose drivers I've installed (Oki 182, Star LC10, HP LJ100 and HP Lj4 Plus), none of them have a Custom Paper Size option such as that which I see in Word 2000. Or am I looking in the wrong place for Custom paper size setting in Acrobat Reader?

If there's any means of posting an attachment to the forum I'd be happy to show you the paper size option for all four printers.

Any further thoughts or guidance?

Regards

GeordieLad