Problem: during game I think laptop switch to battery mode

m.reza137000

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017
Hi
I have new asus laptop (with high hardware),when it is plugged in,I run a game.suddenly during the game its screen become dark(its look like to switch to battery mode) and crash the game
What should I do to solve this problem?

Thanks

Solution

Can you please verify your assumption? The laptop doesn't have to shut down. Throttling is a slowing of CPU or GPU clocks resulting in less performance and less heat. A PC will normally throttle well before it would need to shut down. It throttles so it doesn't have to resort to a thermal shutdown.

You didn't say anything about your Power Options.

You didn't say anything about running your laptop without the battery.

3 troubleshooting options in addition to the possibility that it could be associated with only one game...
It could be the CPU and GPU are overheating. When that happens they clockdown to prevent overheating. However, if heat is still a problem, then the laptop forces itself to shut down to prevent damage. If this happens very often, then the laptop can suffer permanent damage.

You can use a program like HWMonitor to monitor the temperatures.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

In general, if both CPU and GPU are operating at 75c or below when playing games, then you should be fine. If you see temps of 85c or higher then you should be concerned. If temps are 90c+, then that is a good sign that the laptop is overheating.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Agreed. MSI Afterburner https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner can also show you, in real time, how your PC is feeling(new word for the day is anthropomorphizing). If you click on the Gear on MSI AB's main screen and then click on Monitoring you can allow the OSD to show you temperatures, how hard each component is working(load percentage) RAM and VRAM amounts and a lot more
Far_Cry4_2016_11_08_22_14_29_543.jpg
. With a glance I can see if my temps. are reaching a dangerous level where my PC(or your laptop) would throttle performance in favor of less heat. Making sure your laptop is dust-free can help. Using a laptop cooing tray/pad can also help with temperatures.

A laptop that's plugged in doesn't have to have the battery installed. Your power options also have a big say when it comes to how the laptop behaves. Right click your start button(Win 10? icon) and click on Power Options. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2843-change-power-plan-settings-windows-10-a.html . I'd set it to high performance.

m.reza137000

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017
Thanks for your answers
But I don't think it related to heat , because laptop doesn't shutdown or restart or something like that..
Just for a second crash to Windows and after that I can continue my game!

m.reza137000

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017
Thanks for your answers
But I don't think it related to heat , because laptop doesn't shutdown or restart or something like that..
Just for a second crash to Windows and after that I can continue my game!

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Can you please verify your assumption? The laptop doesn't have to shut down. Throttling is a slowing of CPU or GPU clocks resulting in less performance and less heat. A PC will normally throttle well before it would need to shut down. It throttles so it doesn't have to resort to a thermal shutdown.

You didn't say anything about your Power Options.

You didn't say anything about running your laptop without the battery.

3 troubleshooting options in addition to the possibility that it could be associated with only one game.

What does the Event Viewer(right click start>Event Viewer) say about the exact time it crashed?

HwMonitor and HwInfor can also show electrical information. Should the DC charger get too warm or should it draw too much current it can shut down the current to prevent an issue. That's something called over-current protection. The momentary power stall causes the GPU to crash but then the GFX program and Windows corrects the issue and restarts the GFX driver. Yet another possibility not necessarily connected with Power Options. One troubleshooting step to verify that possibility is to significantly reduce GFX settings. Play at 720p and all low settings.

Should you understand some advanced techniques Asus's GPU Tweak can log its performance. The Power Target is what I'd be looking at.

Solution