Problem with backlight

memoryproblems

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
I have an older computer, a Dell from circa 2008, I don't remember the exact product number, but it is a 17XX.

It came with a glossy screen, however several years back it had cracked and I had set it aside. I recently decided to fix it up, and ordered a replacement screen, but owing to the fact that I intended to use it predominantly outside, I ordered a matte finish screen which from what I read, was supposed to be compatible.

I installed it, and it appears to work fine at the start, everything is as it should be, the color, the resolution, it's not blurry and there are no other problems, however after a couple of minutes, the back light shuts off. When I shine a light on it, I can see that the screen is still on, but without the back light, without a light shined on it, it is completely black and appears as if it is off. At first, I thought it was an issue with the operating system, so I got the disks to reinstall the operating system (Windows Vista Home Premium), and the back light issue sets in there as well, so now I'm not so sure that it's a software issue.

I had tried to run it from a live-usb of Ubuntu linux and it seemed to work fine, however I didn't test it extensively off from the live-usb. On windows, it runs normally for several minutes before the backlight shuts off.

Does anybody have any ideas on what might be causing this problem and/or have any tips on how to resolve it?

memoryproblems

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Something that I forgot to mention.

Shortly after I installed the new screen, I used the utility partition to reset the computer to the factory default condition and basically reinstall the OS/blank everything out. It seemed like there was no backlight issue prior to doing that, but that it started to crop up afterwards.