Problem with freezing laptop when playing games

Echelon04

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
The problem occurs only when i play video games. Some minutes (from 10 minutes to 2 hours) after i run a game, the sound and also the game starts to stutter and it ends with the whole laptop freezed, the only thing that happens is that the fan starts spinnig with high speed, and i only can hard reset the laptop. After the restart the Windows Reliability Monitor doesn't show any errors. I don't think it's related to overheating because i made some tests with MSI Afterburner and the max temperatures during a gaming session ( and also seconds before the freeze) were around 70° C for the CPU and 75° C for the GPU. Also this doesn't happen for Indie games, or in some games it is less frequent ( Skyrim , Dying Light, Dead Space 2)

I also :
Downloaded the latest drivers for EVERYTHING ( for the GPU using GeForce Experience.)
Checked if there were any Hard Disk errors
Checked the RAM with Memtest86
Updated windows

My PC specs:
ASUSTeK X550VX
Intel i5-6300HQ 2.30GHz
Intel HD Graphics 530
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 2 GB
8 GB RAM ( 2x4 GB)
Windows 10 64 bit

Please Help !!! :D and sorry for my English, i'm not a native speaker :)

Solution
Well it seems that i solved the problem. I just had to choose higer power options for the laptop and run the games with compatibilty options for Windows 8. I will do more tests to see if the issue is solved, if yes i will post this as solution for the next generations xD.
If the fan is speeding up, then it is overheating. The fan may be offsetting some of that, but not all of it. Also, it depends on how sensitive your hardware is that determines if the temps you get are causing the problems. Some are way more sensitive that others.

If the device is under warranty still, contact the manufacturer. If it isn't under warranty, then I would suggest opening it up and cleaning out the dust and debris to see if that helps. If it doesn't, then you may need to replace the thermal paste. Should even that not help, then I would look at replacing the fan.

Since the problems are less noticeable with some games, it's very likely your laptop barely meets the hardware specifications required for the games which do cause the problems you've referred to. That would cause key components to be working flat out which in turn leads to overheating, and that can cause instability & freezing.

In a nutshell, your pushing your laptop to the max with some games - - that's going to shorten component life.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Echelon04 : "Problem with freezing laptop when playing games"

Echelon04

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

Thank you for your answer :), you're problably right but it's strange because the problem also happens at temperatures of 40 or 60 C, and sometimes it doesn't at higher ones. Sometimes it happens at specific commands in the game like opening a main menu. I bought this laptop 4 months ago so the warranty is still valid, what should i tell them is the cause of the problem ?

Echelon04

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

Thank you for answering :). The usage of the components rarely exceeds 80 % ( MSI Afterburner). And it also happens in games with very low requirements (ASTRONEER) . And it doesn't happen in games with high requirements like Dying Light. It's just really random . Might it be a GPU problem ? And if yes, is there a way to test it somehow ?

I would tell them all the issues you are having. I always suggest people write down questions they have and the problems going on before calling. Start a few days before you call. That way you don't hang up after your call going "awe man I forgot to..." Hate when that happens. :)

Echelon04

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Well it seems that i solved the problem. I just had to choose higer power options for the laptop and run the games with compatibilty options for Windows 8. I will do more tests to see if the issue is solved, if yes i will post this as solution for the next generations xD.

Solution