Question Problems connecting Onkyo 646 to New LG Smart TV

Mar 13, 2020
Hello,

I am having issues connecting my Onkyo receiver to my nely bought LG TV.

I had 2 types of setup done:

A- Connect DVD, Satellite and PS4 to the receiver. Connect receiver to TV via ARC.
Result: Only audio via sound system and nothing on TV.

B- Connect DVD, Satellite and PSD to TV,. Connect receiver to TV via ARC.
Resukt: No sounds from sound system, only from TV.

Moreover, Netflix and other smart TV apps were working just fine on the TV, when suddenly sound stopped coming out of the sound system and I had to switch all to TV sound outpu.

What am I doing wrong here? I

Thanks for all the help!

A - That's the way it's supposed to work. You don't want the TV and AVR producing audio at the same time. You do need to turn ARC on in the TV menu and may have to assign it to an input on the AVR to get audio from the TV apps to the AVR.
B - As mentioned above ARC is not usually on by default. You may also have to turn the TV speakers off to get it working.
If any of your sources support lossless audio like Dolby TrueHD then connecting that source directly to the AVR with HDMI is the only way to get that unless both the TV and AVR support eARC.

Mar 13, 2020
A - That's the way it's supposed to work. You don't want the TV and AVR producing audio at the same time. You do need to turn ARC on in the TV menu and may have to assign it to an input on the AVR to get audio from the TV apps to the AVR.
B - As mentioned above ARC is not usually on by default. You may also have to turn the TV speakers off to get it working.
If any of your sources support lossless audio like Dolby TrueHD then connecting that source directly to the AVR with HDMI is the only way to get that unless both the TV and AVR support eARC.

Thanks for the info. I guess I did not explain this well. When working with option A, connecting the DVD to Onkyo 646 which in turn is connected to the TV via ARC, I do not get anything in the screen. As if the receiver is not getting any signal.

Mar 6, 2020
I have an LG TV currently connected to a Samsung Soundbar via HDMI/ARC. I would suggest you check the "Sound Out" option of the menu brought up by the gear icon on the LG remote and under Sound Out make sure the output selected is Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC). Then cable as in your A. option above.

Mar 13, 2020
I have an LG TV currently connected to a Samsung Soundbar via HDMI/ARC. I would suggest you check the "Sound Out" option of the menu brought up by the gear icon on the LG remote and under Sound Out make sure the output selected is Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC). Then cable as in your A. option above.

This is the setup I have now. On the receiver I have TV button which works perfect when I am watching Netflix or using the smart apps in general. But once I switch to DVD or CBL on the receiver, all I get is No Input on the TV

Mar 13, 2020
So I am trying a few things on the Onkyo receiver and went into source connection and it says No Power Detect although I am 100% sure the cables are connected perfectly and the DVD and Cable are both working just fine.