Problems troubleshooting a laptop

sampash

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
My friend gave me his laptop to try and fix this week. The problem was that the disk usage was constantly at 100%, which would then cause the laptop to be performing really slowly, also made keyboard to stop working, as well as the touch pad. I tried various things, formatting, registry changes, I ran checks to see if it was a software issue but nothing worked. I came to the conclusion that it was a faulty hard disk so advised him to buy a new one which I would fit for him. I did so, and it seemingly worked fine until windows automatically updated the GPU driver, which after restarting, caused the same issues as I previously mentioned. So right now, I'm planning to reinstall windows and turn off auto driver updates. What do you guys think is the root of the issue? Could it be faulty drivers that windows is finding, or do you think it's just a hardware issue? I don't want him to spend any more money on my guesses, so I thought I'd get some real advice.

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro

GeForce GTX 770m
i7-4710MQ
1 TB Seagate SSHD Sata III
8 GB of RAM

Solution
I came to the same conclusion, that the GTX770M was the problem, from my research, the GTX is soldered directly to the motherboard, but we do not know how the laptop is assemble it can be on a daughter card. You will know when you open the laptop.

sampash

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

i'm trying to find out from my friend, it's not a well known logo and it has no manufacturer name on it.. I'll reply back to you as soon as i know

sampash

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
So, I've been messing with some stuff. I'm trying to find a way to stop windows from auto updating my drivers, but the usual method of Settings > System > Advanced > Disable auto updating drivers, doesn't work at ALL. It still installs the base drivers and updates stuff when WiFi is on. If I can disable it completely, I could manually install drivers and test which one in particular is messing with the laptop. any ideas?

sampash

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

there are options to do so, but none of them worked. My work around was to make group poilicies only allowing admins to update drivers, this made them not do so automatically. This is a work around for the problem though, I think it's a GPU issue. Are 770m's easy to replace?

I came to the same conclusion, that the GTX770M was the problem, from my research, the GTX is soldered directly to the motherboard, but we do not know how the laptop is assemble it can be on a daughter card. You will know when you open the laptop.

Solution