Problems with fps drops

rytheguy

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
Hi guys. I recently bought an Asus rog laptop. Specs: 1060 8gb, 8 gb ram , intel i7 6700. The problem is that sometimes when i play games the fps will suddenly lock itself at 30. for example it will go from 133 to 30 in a sec. this has been happening frequently and when i checked the rog gaming centre, it says my gpu voltage is 0. For some reason this only happens when im not charging the laptop. May i get u guys help and some answers pls.

Solution
You mention this only occurring when you're not charging the laptop - I wonder if this is related to power settings? Check your NVIDIA control panel for a 'battery boost' setting (http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/battery-boost) and see if switching it off makes a difference. As a guess, it could also be a power consumption based thing. If the battery outputs less power than is required by all of the hardware working at once, it may throttle the GPU to accommodate the CPU suddenly working harder (and thus using more power, detracting from the amount available for the GPU). You might be able test this by tweaking processor power management in Windows' Power Options > Advanced Power Settings, but I think it's much less of a...

HeuristicToaster

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
You mention this only occurring when you're not charging the laptop - I wonder if this is related to power settings? Check your NVIDIA control panel for a 'battery boost' setting (http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/battery-boost) and see if switching it off makes a difference. As a guess, it could also be a power consumption based thing. If the battery outputs less power than is required by all of the hardware working at once, it may throttle the GPU to accommodate the CPU suddenly working harder (and thus using more power, detracting from the amount available for the GPU). You might be able test this by tweaking processor power management in Windows' Power Options > Advanced Power Settings, but I think it's much less of a likely cause

Solution