Prof. Advises Counterstrikes Against Cyberattacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrozen

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
cue intelligent hackers who re-direct counter attacks onto other defensive networks....who in turn defend but are again re-directed onto other defensive networks...and so on...hello internet nuclear holocaust!

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]Haven't we all moved on to TF2 by now? I mean it's free, so I see no need to go back to Counterstrike.[/citation]
Did you read the article?

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]Haven't we all moved on to TF2 by now? I mean it's free, so I see no need to go back to Counterstrike.[/citation]
Gun game is pretty fun and caused me to get back into Counterstrike. And how else do you defeat terrorists, especially the dastardly L337 Crew, but through Counterstrike!

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I hate to say this but TF2's gameplay is just not my type of thing. Sure, Valve did a great job making it uber-cool and hip, but I got over the Quake-type gameplay LONG ago. Now that I think about it, CS:S is actually a more modern-type game, sans the micro-transactions, but you can keep those:)

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
How about legalized worldwide International hit teams (assassins) to bump off cyber criminals (leave them slumped with bullet holes in the backs of their heads whilst they sat in their chairs in front of their monitors).

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Now I'm usually all for fighting fire with fire, but you're going to stir up a shit storm if you start launching retaliation against those cyberpunks. It would be pretty hilarious though. Let's not forget the 90's.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]Did you read the article?[/citation]
Sorry about the joke, I understand it wasn't funny at all.

But are you all seriously that dense?

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
This just opens up a can of worms, collateral outage or damage due to a counter attack opens up the counter to a lawsuit and punishment that would ensue from the main attack.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
A severs bandwidth gets capped, a website goes down for a bit... Big whoop. DDoS can only affect a server by telling it to resolve commands it is willing to initiate. All these 'cyber-attacks' are physical attacks to the data which has been seeded by a lack of security.

malindar

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

double-facepalm.jpg

Tonkyboy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Haven't we all moved on to TF2 by now? I mean it's free, so I see no need to go back to Counterstrike.

Yes, I did, just 2 days ago. What a hoot !
But I'm not sure if you can use TF2 against these a$$holes. Counterstrike would be better.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Since the cyberspace is not like a conventional battlefield (in which certain risks exist in attacking an enemy) I'd say yes, pre-emptive strikes and counterattacks are necessary.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Stupidity shines through......or maybe he was making a joke? But I must err on the side of caution and just call him stupid.[/citation]
Or you could just do the intelligent thing and look about 6 posts up from your's where he admits it was intended as a joke that just didn't get received well.....but, since I question your intelligence at this point, I'll just quote him while I'm at it....

[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]Sorry about the joke, I understand it wasn't funny at all.But are you all seriously that dense?[/citation]

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]Sorry about the joke, I understand it wasn't funny at all.But are you all seriously that dense?[/citation]
Nah, I thought it was just a comment because you misread the title and ignored the article. I tried TF2 but was never really good at it (can never get the Engineer right), some day I might try CS.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This is all assuming that they are able to find the hacker. He/she will probably be running through multiple proxies / zombie computers, which will mean killing those and they are unwitting pawns in the hackers attack.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Or you could power off your routers or remove their uplink to the web like the world bank so frequently does whenever it suspects its under attack.

The question comes down to "What is your data worth." If your KFC you probably don't care, if your the DOD you probably will send snipers like the previously mentioned poster implied, and if your Google, you just turn off the internet to the attackers country, send in the cyborgs, and laugh at their feeble attempts to take skynet offline.

Status
Not open for further replies.