Progressively Noisy Laptop Fan (Dell Inspiron N4110)

renulb

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015
I have a Dell Inspiron N4110 that I've used a fair amount over the last year.

A few months after I started using it, there would be an occasional spurt of the fan getting loud when I used it on soft surfaces (blanket/comforter/lap) but a quick tilt of the laptop would make it stop.

Eventually, it would happen a bit more and more. Once it blue screened and shut itself off, I read about the negatives of using it on such surfaces and the dust issue that it could create, and stopped using it like that. I used compressed air and cleaned the vents, dust went everywhere, and everything was as good as new. There was a good, cool breeze coming out of the side vent by the fan. Everything was fine for about 7 months.

About a month ago, the fan would start getting loud and whirring whenever I moved it around for an extended period of time (from desk, to table, to other table, etc). Usually restarting the computer and not picking it up/moving it around worked fine.

About two weeks ago, it would start doing it every once in a while even on the normal surface and a restart wouldn't help right away.

A handful of days ago it's become less of a "sometimes it does this" and more of a "it does this all the time" thing. It's a loud, constant, whirring noise that happens about 3-5 minutes after you start the computer and only stops periodically if you've got nothing running. It blue screened once, but it was right after I had tried opening it up (I wanted to get to the fans blades rather than vents, but I quickly learned it was complex to take apart and being a noob I decided to put it back together). It hasn't blue screened since.

I've cleaned the vents multiple times. The computer doesn't get hot, but there isn't much of an airflow coming out of the vents. I updated bios. I also went through virus checks with malware bytes + Avast and cut out a lot of irrelevant startup programs (went from 102 at startup to about 75).

My questions are:

- Is there something I could do to potentially fix this without taking it anywhere. I recently moved somewhere new, have no idea where I can take it that I'd be comfortable with, and am strapped for cash.

- Is this going to be a serious issue for the safety/productivity of my laptop or is it just something where it'd just be annoying in its loudness. Eventually I'd fix it, but I mean more "Is this something I can feel comfortable using for the next few weeks with it being loud without it just killing itself". I use it for work which involves recording video.

- I sometimes stream low key video games to twitch on this laptop. With these issues, would it be safe to continue doing so this week?

- Is there anything else I ought to know/do. I don't know much about computers sadly :\

Thanks

renulb

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015
Oh, I should also mention that the portion with taking apart this laptop with was removing the keyboard so I could get to the fan. If anyone has any tips (along with how to put it back together after) so I can get to the fan and toss some compressed air on the blades to clear what I assume is a good amount of dust, please let me know.

renulb

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015
I was able to figure out the opening of the case thanks to a link here. Unfortunately there wasn't a ton of dust in there/on the fan and when I restarted the computer it was still noisy. Although a bit less so. However now there is a solid burst of air coming from the vent, albeit a bit warm (not quite hot).