Solved! Projector to amplifier

Jul 11, 2020
Hi everyone I have an audio issue with connecting the optoma hd143x projector to a onkyo 608 amp.The projector is connected via hdmi out and freeview,firestick etc via the hdmi in.Do I need to recieve audio direct from the projector via either optical or some other means? The projector only has an audio out from a 3.5mm jack but how do i connect it to the the amp and achieve 7.1 surround sound for all the connected devices? I'm very new to amps and audio equipment so any simple explanations would help greatly.The picture is fine from the projector via hdmi.I have no arc hdmi on the amp or projector. I just don't get how to recieve audio and even after spending countless hours trying to find where I'm going wrong has made it even more confusing.many thanks in advance.

Solution
All your settings are correct. The only change in placement would be to raise the surrounds above ear level. When they are that close you may want to aim them towards the side walls or up. You can also try them on the floor aiming up.
In the speaker set up there will be a place to enter the distance each speaker is from your main listening spot. After that you will set the level of each speaker while the AVR is sending pink noise to each one. You can use your ears or a sound level meter app on your phone.
The subwoofer can't be adjusted with the noise so you do that when you play content. If the sub has an LFE input use that. If not then turn the cutoff frequency all the way up and the level to about half of full rotation. You can...
No audio from the projector is needed.
When you set up the AVR you would have to balance the speaker levels with noise. That confirms that the speakers are correctly connected and working. If you have not done the setup then follow the instructions in the manual. It's important.
Then check the input set up menu of the AVR. Make sure that HDMI is selected as the audio source for each HDMI input.

Jul 11, 2020
No audio from the projector is needed.
When you set up the AVR you would have to balance the speaker levels with noise. That confirms that the speakers are correctly connected and working. If you have not done the setup then follow the instructions in the manual. It's important.
Then check the input set up menu of the AVR. Make sure that HDMI is selected as the audio source for each HDMI input.
All working except for the 2 small speakers I wanted to use as 2 highs. They are wired into the correct terminals but the option in the menu is greyed out.So i have 2 tower fronts,1 centre 2 i wired as surround sounds as the front speaker menu is greyed out and a powered sub.
Many thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020
Check that the front height speakers aren't assigned as zone 2 speakers.
If you don't have a sub the front L/R should be set to "large" and the other speakers to small.
Thanks for the reply the "test" setup is as follows if you have any suggestions regarding speaker setup. The room is very small, so I'm very limited to speaker placements, this is why I have decided against a 7.1 setup.

Floor standing left/right (large)
Centre speaker above projector screen (small). No room at ear level
Powered sub to the left
Surround sound left and right (small) both at ear level, slightly behind seating area.
I know it's not ideal but with the size of the room, bay window, open door and furniture that is the best i can achieve. I don't have the calibration mic, so I'm a little unsure as to how I can find the sweet spot in sound being driven by the amp. If you have any suggestions i.e. set up all speakers to the front of the room where there is more space, I would appreciate your expert advice.

All your settings are correct. The only change in placement would be to raise the surrounds above ear level. When they are that close you may want to aim them towards the side walls or up. You can also try them on the floor aiming up.
In the speaker set up there will be a place to enter the distance each speaker is from your main listening spot. After that you will set the level of each speaker while the AVR is sending pink noise to each one. You can use your ears or a sound level meter app on your phone.
The subwoofer can't be adjusted with the noise so you do that when you play content. If the sub has an LFE input use that. If not then turn the cutoff frequency all the way up and the level to about half of full rotation. You can adjust sub with the AVR remote from your listening position or have someone adjust the back of the sub for you.

Solution
Jul 11, 2020
The subwoofer can't be adjusted with the noise so you do that when you play content. If the sub has an LFE input use that. If not then turn the cutoff frequency all the way up and the level to about half of full rotation. You can adjust sub with the AVR remote from your listening position or have someone adjust the back of the sub for you.
Great,thank you.Glad I'm heading in the right direction with your help.I was looking at videos about the crawl technique and the sound level app just the other day from someone with a very similar name to you.Not sure if your one or same person.If so they are superb guides.The sub is Tannoy model so i only have the settings of phase ,which i find 180 to be best with a 12 o'clock volume,yet to adjust the levels via the menu on the other speakers but will certainty give them the full treatment.Another and final question would be regarding audio selection on each hdmiinput.Do I leave this blank or do i select a format ie Dolby digital,stereo,thx etc.Does the source material select it's own audio format by default to the amplifier ? Regards Rich.