PS Vita Now Outselling Wii U in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Nintendo screwed the pooch er screwed the yoshi on this one. My GF begged me to buy the Wii "for the family" since it's "more family oriented". Now it's "i don't understand, i already bought him a gameboy last year". Thank god is have my PCs.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Nintendo apparently didn't learn anything from Sega's mishandling of the Dreamcast. It's not always a good thing to be first to the party if it means your hardware is going to be behind everything else that comes out a year or two later in terms of features and power. That being said, they probably could have left the tablet controller off, did a "game link" with the 3DS over wifi for that functionality instead, and knocked $100 off the Wii U and it would have sold like hotcakes.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
"Your information is dated. Wii U has already surpassed the PS Vita in sales again second only to the 3DS."

I doubt it's even an accident. The media likes being negative about Nintendo these days, this story sniped it at a low point in sales where it could make this claim while ignoring the fact that the 3DS by the same company also is taking a belt to it. It wasn't outselling it before this point, it isn't selling it after this point since Pikmin came out, it surely will not be outselling it after Smash Bros comes out for the Wii U. The hype for that series may outdo Zelda and Metroid at this point. EVO, the biggest fighting games tournament for serious players of games like SFIV, and the most popular stream this year was the OLD smash bros. Realy don't think they'll worry about sales figures after that title drops, and by the time hype dies down for that, new Zelda will be out. I'm not saying I wasn't disappointed these titles were coming next year and that this year is a drought unless you really love Luigi. but you do have to keep in mind that unlike most AAA devs these days Nintendo does NOT release games until they're ready. There is no "release date is set, get the game done by then." I can appreciate a company that still cares about product quality before release dates. In the meantime, my destination is Earthbound.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
First of all I think this writer is failing to mention a little game called Monster Hunter that is just HUGE in Japan and is one of the sole reasons the PSP was such a success there, and that games are still being made for it. It's successor the Vita might not have unrivaled exclusive Monster Hunter like the PSP had (the 3DS has it now)... but it still has the BEST portable version of MH. And let's put the numbers in perspective...

3DS LL: 29,716 [DOWN] 3,556 (10.69%)
Vita: 20,776 [DOWN] 10,495 (33.56%)
3DS: 14,506 [DOWN] 2,934 (16.82%)
PS3: 11,683 [DOWN] 871 (6.94%)
Wii U: 8,251 [UP] 1,191 (16.87%)
PSP: 5,768 [DOWN] 724 (11.15%)
Wii: 1,334 [DOWN] 4 (0.30%)
Xbox 360: 313 [DOWN] 17 (5.15%)

That's right. The Wii (2006) and the PSP (2004) are both outpacing the 360 by factors of 4 and 18 respectively. That is not 313,000 units, that is 313 in all of Japan from July 1 - 7. Infact even as of last year the PS2 (2000) was fighting for last place before it got discontinued early this year. Japan is a different market and it seems to mean less and less every year (unfortunately for people who like Japanese made games).

Now Nintendo has its problems and Dragon Quest X on the WiiU did not give the console the sales boost they were hoping for. I think there strategy is very messed up at this point and most people I talked to last holiday season thought that the controller was just an add-on the the Wii. If Nintendo wants to make the WiiU huge I got two words for them: Pokemon MMORPG. I haven't been into a Pokemon game since Gold and Silver on the Gameboy color... but if they can pull a Pokemon MMORPG the WiiU would fly off the shelves... and I would be pushing over any 8 year old that got in my way to grab mine.

Or just team up with Apple/Google and make any game that is SNES or older for sale on APP stores... use that money to fund new games... Close to a Billion devices with Android or iOS is a great instant install base. Just my two cents.

illLoGiQ

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Wow this is how you know you failed. Two Fails and one has to come out on top i guess. I totally forgot about the WiiU and my PS Vita collects dust due to sh!ty FPS games. 2 analog sticks 2 FPS games....see a problem here? Who the F**K does the marketing for both these products because those groups need to be fired. I also feel that companies who waste millions of dollars on gold mine products should be fined heavily for failure to produce something of interest to further push the product to either exceed or compete with competitors or simply refund their customers. Costly YES but with the economy today, wasting $300 on a PS Vita with 2 analog sticks and 2 years later having only 2 FPS games with NO DLC or frequent patching for such horrible internet and mobile play on those 2 games.....they are suckering hard earned money from long time faithful customers. Robbery. I would also be happy if they should BAN NHILSTIC aka N-STIGATE studios from ever making or thinking of making a game EVER.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I don't know about you guys, but if I would buy a Wii U NOW, I think I would have more than enough games to keep me occupied until more come.

I mean, if you're talking to someone who didn't play just Batman and Assassin's Creed, there are some solid games there. You have CoD for MP action. You have enough Mario/Luigi/w/e games. You have Lego Undercover for some GTA action. What's to dislike about it?

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
i like the idea of removing the tablet controller feature and having it link with the 3ds instead and reducing the price 100-125 (whatever the tablet controller cost) a 175 dollar wii u would be oftly tempting just to have easy access to all my old n64 and below favorites and grab the few good new games as well. Then you also need a fat external HDD to hold all the games so you still end up spending 350 dollars.

It's hard to say who will have the better looking games this time around. The 360 had on average the better looking games as most of the games were developed for the xbox than ported to the ps3. This generation they are the same architecture with almost the same exact cpu's so porting wont be a problem what its going to come down to is how big a boost the cloud computing really makes. Is it enough to overcome sonys ram bandwidth and shader advantage. Then this also brings up the question what happens when you game offline will some of xbox ones games fall back to crappier looking settings when the cloud power is gone or even worse not even playable? People seem to forget sony also will have cloud stuff going on so sony may also be able to use the cloud to enhance games more as well. I'm very much liking the PS4 as the winner this generation. Developers are loving their friendly policies and do nothing but cuss about microsoft. Everyone I know is not happy about having to rely on MS servers computing abilities to run thier games solidly. This is where the ps4'a pretty big hardware advantage will make it the champion. Games will be able to run at higher settings on the ps4. It could be the difference between 1080p and 720p some games may actually be able to run at higher resolution on the ps4 on the xbox

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
@tajisi
Just to correct you on the Sega's mishandling Dreamcast. The performance of Dreamcast was quite on par with PS2, unless you believe the Sony's marketing.
Marketing is one problem. Secondly, there was a major supply shortage, how could you sell the product if people could not buy?
So, what Nintendo is doing now is not comparable to what Sega did apart from that both have failed.

fxdbfbreyh

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Hi man~!~My Life is so lonely .How about you? Recently, I join a serious interracial singles dating site on__ MīxedSinglë. ℂoм___ I just find my true love here, so I I strongly recommend this site . You interracial dating journey is just beginning! Meet singles living in your local area or in countries around the world. The common interest will help make dating easier and more effective. If you are single, have a try.uuu

Status
Not open for further replies.