PS3 Slim More Power Efficient Than Advertised

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I hate sony. and I know that i will get flamed, but I get tired of all the proprietary stuff. Blueray, umd, cell processor, memory stick. How many have lasted. I would have rather have seen sony make just a gaming console. I just want to game. I couldnt care less about blu ray, It could have been hd dvd or blu ray. I dont care I just want games. And I am not getting as many with the ps3 as i did for the ps2. And yes that makes backwards compatibiliy a huge issue. I want to play good ps2 games since the there arnt that many for the ps3. Sony quit making it hard, just let me game.

G

PS3 still displays a better BD picture than all but the most high end BD players, and upscales DVDs to high def better than any upscaling standalone player I've seen.

To me, that's worth a few extra watts.

japnoise99

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
If your so crazy about backwards compatibility why not get a refurbished 60 gig from gamestop.com If you cant afford the electric bill you shouldn't be buying games... LOL!

qwertymac93

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
People seem to be thinking sony purposely tried to lower power consumption, this is not the case. sony was trying to cut costs, because everybody has been complaining the ps3 is too expensive since its launch. the easiest way to do this was to move to a smaller manufacturing process for its chips, it does this with every console it makes to cut costs and to make their console "more attractive". since the ps3 now uses a 45nm cpu and 65nm gpu(vs 90nm cpu and gpu) it uses way less power, but more importantly, it costs nearly half as much to make. the lower power consumption was a very positive side effect, but not a priority. please don't bash sony for making their product cheaper, more power efficient, quieter, and lighter, just because your mad you sold your ps2 for $20 and can't play your ps2 games anymore; if your ps2 games mean that much, you should have kept your ps2.

qwertymac93

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
another thing people forget is that when a chip uses less power, it also produces less heat. since the ps3 uses less then half of the energy the launch 60gb model used, the heatsinks and power supply can be smaller, also saving considerable money. those huge aluminum heatsinks in the ps3 are heavy and expansive.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
all this crap about why they put in a bluray player, that they just want a games system.
well the simple trueth is where consoles are concerned mainly, is that games are getting bigger, and the only type of disk that is capable of storing this amount of information is a bluray disk.

i think i would rather have a slightly slower drive than having to change the disk over a couple a times a day.

i dont care what people think, i am happy with the large 80gb system, the new slim is a nice system also but i didnt pay for mine and also i have to pay stupid money for the games, so the slim will have to wait.

but he fact that it uses a lot less power than the other 2 breeds is a bonus, as since getting the ps3 and new 42" lcd screen, i have noticed a 50% increase in my elecy bill, and that is just a tad rediculas

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
It is quite a bit smaller, and quieter, it still dumps a large amount of hot air out the back, not sure how hot the 'fat' ran, but if its been designed to operate at that heat then it shouldn't be a problem.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]The thing is when you consider 25 000 000 devices saving, let's say, 80W, in the end we are talking about 2 000 MW of saving... that's a lot of power.[/citation]
Next month well see a power company sueing Sony for taking business away.

mc84ss

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
How in the hell can they write an article like this without giving us any real information. All that mummbo jumbo and not a realworld number to be seen. Before they printed this article they needed to get the different model PS3's and then plug them in and test them to get real power numbers, not just manfacturer numbers. Horrible article.

Status
Not open for further replies.