News PS5 fail: Amazon sending customers appliances and cat food instead

SirStephenH

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
sigh

No, delivery drivers and thieves aren't targeting PS5 orders. There's no way to tell what's in the box without opening it first.

Wrong items being sent is a common problem which sounds more common because PS5 buyers are making a lot of noise about it.

Thieves stealing from packages happens all year round but is far more common before Christmas.

I'm sure several of these reports are false, either trying to create an issue online where there is none or trying to get a free second PS5 by reporting the first to Amazon as stolen. Both of these things happen all the time at varying levels.

Nov 21, 2020
sigh

No, delivery drivers and thieves aren't targeting PS5 orders. There's no way to tell what's in the box without opening it first.

Wrong items being sent is a common problem which sounds more common because PS5 buyers are making a lot of noise about it.

Thieves stealing from packages happens all year round but is far more common before Christmas.

I'm sure several of these reports are false, either trying to create an issue online where there is none or trying to get a free second PS5 by reporting the first to Amazon as stolen. Both of these things happen all the time at varying levels.

I would beg to differ, I spent a week trying to get a PS5 from Sony directly, finally scored on Wednesday this week and it was delivered yesterday via FedEx (I'm in the US), the delivery driver knocked on the door verified my ID and handed the box over to me and said "congratulations on your new PS5", so I would assume if you have a bunch of these all the same size coming from the same place it would be pretty easy to figure out what it is after a few days.

Nov 21, 2020
Actually they do know. Not specifically like the title of the console. They know what it could be. I get packages and deliveries from USPS, AMAZON, FEDEX, even the occasional UPS. I ask my post man, do you ever know what’s in here. I got a huge box with no prescribe glasses and 3 novels. She told me, “it said a couple books and eyewear”. They can see the worth of the product, the sender, and what the sender labeled the product as, all in one device. So, if the driver can see that a package is labeled “game console” , it’s worth and the sender’s name(that isn’t just amazon, amazon warehouse etc.), they can assume its a ps5.