PSP 2 Dreams Can Come True

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Considering the original PSP was based on the PS2 hardware, I would expect the next to be based on PS3 hardware. It would be interesting to see if they could pull off a Cell in a feasible portable application like this.

Although if they were to base it off some cell variant, I certainly hope they consult the developers to avoid many of the issues that have crippled the PS3 (Although, according to this, it would seem they have some developers on board for the development).

carlostk1

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Sony needs to develop a PSP that has two analog sticks. The most frustrating thing that I have had to deal with is trying to play with one analog stick. Not to mention what programmers go through getting games that use two sticks work with one. Forget about those extra fancy options; camera, mic, touchscreen, yada-yada. It's a portable gaming system. Only way I'll get another one is if it's got two analog sticks. Everything else is just eye candy.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
nah i think they'd use a arm based cpu. a cell would be way to wasteful and psps arnt known for their battery life either.
Sony has been working on getting the Cell in embedded systems. And Toshiba plans on using them in their HDTVs. There was information about Sony using the cell in portable devices (watches, cell phones, MP3 players, etc).

What better method for showing the portability of the cell, but by putting at the heart of a portable gaming console?

G

I believe Cell could be made for portable applications, if I remember well its a highly modular design.

As for Atoms, for god's sake, hope not. Its more than enough that we'll be forced to use them in nettops.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I would bet money on a Cell being in the Next PSP. Sony pushes their new technology through their consoles. I just hope they go with Mini-BDs for the format.

G

to the one who said look at the xbox....you do realize that that system was faster and better graphically than the ps2 right. the ps2 was purely lucky it beat out xbox (fanboys and some good games)...hell even dreamcast was faster im sure. even with the flawed psp-3000 they arent going to fix that for another year....im sure the psp2 will do just as well as the psp 1 or for that matter the ps3.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]baddassng[/nom]to the one who said look at the xbox....you do realize that that system was faster and better graphically than the ps2 right. the ps2 was purely lucky it beat out xbox (fanboys and some good games)...hell even dreamcast was faster im sure[/citation]
Only an ignorant fanboy would read that comment as a statement against the Xbox's power.

The fact of the matter was, the Xbox was just a PC with off the shelf parts, and that meant Microsoft was paying for parts manufactured by other companies that they ended up assembling. This meant their price cuts were limited to the price of the off the shelf parts. And they ended up loosing large amounts of money in the whole ordeal.

And the PS2 was quite a bit more powerful than the Dreamcast. But it's all irrelivent, the original Xbox doesn't even have the power to run a Linux distro for basic browsing comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.