Publishers Team Up to Take on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Amazon ebooks cost almost paper back prices, everywhere else is nearly 3 times that. Maybe letting Amazon sell them for less is the problem? Ya think?

G

Now this is good news!

Content which can be read anywhere at any time on any platform. :)

Now if only they would come out with an eReader similar to the Kindle DX (or better) for a lower price. After all $489.00 for the Kindle DX is a bit excessive and the Sony eReader is a bit small and clumsy.

G

Hulu isn't failing, the amount of content they distribute has increased exponentially.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
The idea that you can go to one place and get all content scares the content creators... thus they try to keep the market segmented to slow down the inevitable changing process. Should something like Amazon's store every fully catch on, the people who write books might decide to bypass traditional publishing houses and just go straight to the net. THE HORRORS!!! Think iTunes app store, but for books. This is the new way... publishing companies are the old way. Please step aside.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]rodney_ws[/nom]The idea that you can go to one place and get all content scares the content creators... thus they try to keep the market segmented to slow down the inevitable changing process. Should something like Amazon's store every fully catch on, the people who write books might decide to bypass traditional publishing houses and just go straight to the net. THE HORRORS!!! Think iTunes app store, but for books. This is the new way... publishing companies are the old way. Please step aside.[/citation]
Yup. It's called EVOLUTION!

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
A little random I know, but are you from San Diego ssalim?

Anyways, Amazon rocks. Good luck with this joint venture.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I am against buying books in this way.I own over 1200 paper books.Lots of rare 1940'60's scifi paperbacks (1ST editions) as well as hard cover 1st editions and it doesnot end there..........
Over 150 vintage scifi pulp magazines from jan.1930 - dec.1949

my books are worth money and can be sold and go up in value.

your ebooks do nothing except make you lazy to carry around things.
by the way i weigh around 105 - 110 but that doesnot stop me from packing away 20lbs of books and walking around or on a trip.good exercise folks and your 1st editions kept in good shape are a future investment.
your ebooks won't be resold.it is a shame that no one cares about buying PHYSICAL THINGS like books,cd's, movies, etc.
In the near future when you see more and more bookshops,videostores,and music stores go out of business it won't be my fault.

james_8970

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Right... It costs money to store things and on top of that is extremely hard to find a buyer for the prices you'd probably be seeking. Adapting technology is convenient and is better in a large number of ways. The ONLY downfall of digital copies is DRM. I'll get my exercise working out in a gym, I don't need to get back problems from carrying around 40 pounds of weight, which is what I have to do for university because of labs in school. The day textbooks come in electronic versions will be a day I jump for joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.