Solved! Purchasing first laptop

esoteriq

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Hey everyone. I've had yet another desktop die on me too soon, and I figure I might as well look into purchasing a portable desktop replacement, on a budget. I've been looking at laptops for the past couple days and my head is hurting. Was hoping I could get a few directions as to where to look from you guys. Here are my answers from the FAQ question thread; any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, I found a couple laptops on Amazon, was wondering what you all thought of these as far as my specifications go:

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-NV5384u-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/tech-data/B0032Z8KNE/ref=de_a_smtd

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DV6-2162NR-15-6-Inch-Laptop--Up-Battery/dp/B0031ESWP2/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1279773003&sr=1-3

1_What is your budget? Up to about $800

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" and up

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not important

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Preferably desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need? Not particularly important, always near a power outlet

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? WoW, medium to max settings

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Listening to music, watching movies, photo/video editing (video editing not main selling point).

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 320ish, more is fine

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Anywhere that is reputable, warranties are always a bonus

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible without it dying, I take good care of my computers but seem to have bad luck.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer, would like to avoid Bluray as I don't use it at all

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Do not want Apple. Have not enjoyed the Apple products I've used whatsoever. Besides that, any reputable brand is great.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. This will be my desktop replacement. I want to be able to play WoW enjoyably, specifically raiding. Also do a bit of photo edit and video editing (Youtube stuff, dancing cats). Besides WoW, I don't play any current gen games, the rest of my computer usage is very basic; messengers, Facebook, internet. Price is a pretty important factor, I'd prefer a laptop but willing to do another desktop if a laptop isn't available under $800. Weight is a non-issue.

toolinthemist

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Those two laptops you posted would work for everything but the games. When it comes to gaming on a laptop, you really wanna have a dedicated gpu, and those two have integrated graphics (intel and ati 4200 i believe).

I just did some quick browsing of amazon and didn't really find anything that stood out, but I also didn't look too hard.

If you go to Dell's website, you can easily build a studio 15 with an i3 (although and i5 would be preferable) and a dedicated gpu for under $800. And if you mess around with the different builds, you can probably find something better.

The key for your requirements is that you have a dedicated gpu, cause that will make gaming work.

esoteriq

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Hey, appreciate your quick response! I wasn't able to build a Studio for under $800 with dedicated gpu, lowest was $900, but did get an Inspiron. Was wondering if this would do the job?

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndov31&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=inspiron-1564

Also was able to configure a HP dv6z with these specs:

AMD Turion(TM) II Dual-Core Mobile Processor N530 (2.5GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)
Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA]

And just found this one, believe this is the best so far?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6241357&CatId=4938

Thanks again for your reply, and time :)

AnasAl

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
take the hp g62t series and configure it with an i5,it already has a 4gb ram,320gb hard drive and for the gaming part add the ati radeon graphica card i say take the i3-370 model the cost will be upto under $ 700