Purchasing First Macbook

giacona

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
I am looking to purchase a Macbook either the air or Pro. I work in the IT field and need to learn Mac's. I am leaning towards the air as it still has a decent video card and I won't be doing much with it except watching YouTube videos, internet and other small items.

I've read that new models released this yea could be changing some things but that still remains to be seen. I am not sure if I am going to wait or not and see what comes out this year. How is the resale value on Macbooks if they are kept in excellent condition? I normally keep all the boxes for my electronics. Would I be able to get close to what I paid new within the first year or so if I decide to sell it for a newer model?

I notice Macbooks are not as easy to upgrade as a HP or Dell laptop. If I purchase one with a smaller hard-drive and less memory can that be upgraded later, or is in built into the motherboard

would appreciate any advice

Solution

The new macbook air and pro are not upgradeable. The ssd can be removed but there is nothing to replace it...

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Mac products do keep their value very well. On the other hand, replacement parts if they ever need repair are also much more expensive.

Macbooks seem to be at the top of the trend towards integration (at the cost of upgrade ability). Depending on the exact model I'd expect the memory will be integrated into the board. The CPU has been integrated into Macbook boards for quite a while now. The SSD would probably be replaceable but Apple tends to use a proprietary connector port; you'd need to search for an SSD designed specifically for the Mac. Apple is also spotty about supporting every feature on non-original SSDs.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

The new macbook air and pro are not upgradeable. The ssd can be removed but there is nothing to replace it with.
All other parts are soldered so you should get what you want when you buy it since thats it. No upgrades what so ever. The air is completly not upgradeable.

Getting them togheter again is an even bigger nightmare than getting them open.
Honestly get a used 2012 version since those are still good and don't overheat when doing anything intensive for more than a couple of minutes. This is a major issue with the new ones. They put decently powerfull parts in them but once you do anything intensive (use photoshop, edit a movie,... or even watch a stream on twitch) it will overheat and downclock making the difference between the high end model and low end one almost non existent.

Solution