Purchasing new Gaming and Game Development laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2018
1. What is your budget?

5000 NZD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

17 inch

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920 x 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop Replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?

It will be plugged in 99% of the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Dota 2 (Highest possible), Witcher 3 (Highest possible), Dark souls 3 (Highest possible)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Game development (Unity, Unreal)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

256 GB or higher on SSD with 1 TB+ HDD for storage.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Any site in New Zealand that has price including GST>

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3 years +

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Preferred: MSI (Been using MSI GT70 since 2013 and never had any problem).
Don't like: Acer, Alienware (Owned alienware and acer before, it didn't last long due to heating problems)

13. What country do you live in?

New Zealand

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

The laptops must be available to be purchased from New Zealand.

I plan to purchase new laptop at start of April 2018.

I've been surfing, and found these two laptops that I think it meets my requirements quite well.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKASU702007/ASUS-ROG-GL702VI-BA007T-GTX1080-Top-Slim-Gaming-La

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/computers/laptops/msi-gt73vr-titan-pro-gaming-laptop-32gb.html

Is weight/size a factor, or will the laptop not be moved much?

Mar 16, 2018
I prefer having bulky laptop, as they tend to have less heating problems than the thin ones, as 95% of the times, the laptop will be stationary.

Agreed! And I've heard that the cooling solution on that ASUS is not terrible, but not the best, either. Based on that alone, I would lean towards the MSI. Of course that shouldn't be the only factor considered, but a major one in my eyes (this from a fellow GT70 owner).

Mar 16, 2018

Haha yup I especially loved the turbo button on msi gt70 :p

Yeah, the good old turbo button. Makes the darn thing sound like a jet taking off, LOL.

Question: Are either of your laptop choices G-Sync capable? I didn't see any mention of it in the ad copy.

Mar 16, 2018

Yup, both of them are G-Sync capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS