Quake 3 Ported to Android; Runs Impressively

Status
Not open for further replies.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Well smart phones are pretty much pocket computers. As their tech matures I see a lot of old computer titles getting a second life in this format.

exfileme

Splendid
Jan 6, 2008
I put both games on my Motorola Droid and it's simply awesome. The controls need tweaking, and there a weird thing going on with Q3A's CD number, but as it stands, I will probably spend many sleepless nights reliving my old Quake days.

Speaking of Quake....

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Impressive... someones gotta do a Zune HD port. Still seriously lacking in apps by the way, six months in. I wonder how the Tegra with its slower ARM11 processor would perform in Quake 3?

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Man, I remember my K6-2 with a tnt 2 card ran that game at 1024x768. O.k that phone has a lower res, looks like lower textures, and no Aureal 3d sound (I miss the Vortex), but it sure is alot smaller :D.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
There are a few games that this might work for with a bit of tweaking. Some phone company just needs to make a controller specifically for the phone. Use that Blue tooth interface, add in some sort of angled stand for setting it on a desk or table and presto you have nice portable gaming :)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I WANT!

I remember playing Q3 in one of my schools computer labs at lunch (maybe because I couldn't convince our dumbass IT to allow WoW in the network. Would have been pimp having our own private server just for the school).

=D

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]JonathanDeane[/nom]There are a few games that this might work for with a bit of tweaking. Some phone company just needs to make a controller specifically for the phone. Use that Blue tooth interface, add in some sort of angled stand for setting it on a desk or table and presto you have nice portable gaming[/citation]

I'd probably prefer either a vendor-specific gamepad accessory that actually clips to the phone so it becomes a true handheld - I'm unlikely to be playing on my phone at home, so to have to prop the phone up when I'm out won't be too convenient.

I think we are seeing some major future hitting us though - I remember being quite impressed with Sega Super Tennis on my Sony Ericsson S700i, but these developments are just super sick!

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I like the ending of the video, "I'm not use to using two hands" LOL. I just thought it was hilarious because he stated he played FPS games on a PC, and with PC games your still using both hands. 1-Mouse 2-Keyboard. Sounds like two to me hehehe.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
But does it run ...?

No seriously, phones have come a long way, but there still is a 10 years gap between PC and Phone hardware capabilities. It's impressive for a phone to run such 3D graphics, but the supported 3D acceleration is still years behind. iPhone and Android only have fixed function pipelines (DirectX 7) (Android has experimental programmable shaders, but even those are not latest generation)

Seeing the speed at which phone hardware catches up with PC hardware in terms of capabilities, I would expect the gap to shrink even more in the following years. One day a phone capable of running Crysis will come, and we all will be able to once more ask "the question" :p

codefuapprentice

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Thats actually pretty cool, being able to run Quake 3 Arena on a smart phone, but it's not suprising being able to run it especially when this has a PowerVR GPU and a 400Mhz CPU, although, i'd give wanting to play on a smart phone a miss especially for action games, unless....it was a platformer but cool none the less :)

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Are there any Amiga emulators for phones? Huge archive of great games, really low-spec hardware to emulate, low native resolution and easy controls... Having Speedball II, The Settlers and Project-X in my pocket would be fantastic.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Well, this POS crap google made and named it Android should never existed. A 1000 MHz processor performing worse than a 600 MHz just because of the java crap. Your future is based on a very crappy foundation in the first place. And by the way, take a look at Android developer forums just to realize how fracked up it is. Google is starting to show it's limitation and poor decision making. The only real mobile OSes out there are Iphone OS and Windows mobile.[/citation]

I LOL'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.