Queries regarding the CCleaner issue

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Hi, in the last one month or so i may have used ccleaner like 1 or 2 times for a brief period of time. I was actually using the 5.33 version. After reading the news, i uninstalled ccleaner, checked with antivruses and malwarebytes and it came out clean. But my main concern is about the privacy, recent news shows that a lot of personal information was communicated through the hacked servers. Even news state maybe kelogging, key strokes hack tools may have been used.
So, my question is that do i require to format my machine. I changed a lot of passwords of my existing accounts on most of the sites. My question about formatting is because i have a lot of data in my pc and backing them all up and rearranging stuff will take a lot of time.
Any info regarding the hack and advices is welcomed. Thank you.

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

mdd1963

Distinguished
we will assume their statement is accurate, perhaps the '32 bit caveat' applied to the application, not the OS....(as, obviously some might have chosen 32bit version and run it on a 64 bit OS just fine)

Still, they claim replace the software, and you are fine....no exploits beyond some info gathering were done....allegedly :)

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

Thanks for a detailed study of the ccleaner hack... Now this seems a complete analysis of the ccleaner hacker methodology.

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Ok, so a little update... I installed a temporary HDD on my machine, formatted it... I had a macrium reflect full backup that dated back to 25th of september, so then i restored it and was surprised to see even with ccleaner 5.33 installed, the registry entries that were supposed to be installed with the modified ccleaner were simply not there. Then i remembered that once while downloading ccleaner, i noticed the download speeds to be really slow and two exe's were downloading, so instead of downloading it from piriform servers, i downloaded it from filehippo.com or maybe vice versa, either of the two; so maybe the file on filehippo wasnt effected...