Question connecting camera to WIFI

philroe

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Much has been written about Huawei, a Chinese networking company. I want to purchase a web camera to view something innocent in my garage that's running (3D printer). I'm thinking of purchasing a WiFi camera manufactured in China by blurams (though it could be any Chinese company).

The device connects to my router WiFi directly. Should I be concerned or am I paranoid to think this device may upload malware and steal my important passwords as it passes through my router? IE can it download a keylogger or some such malware onto my router bypassing the anti-virus anti malware on my various computers?

I have Windows Defender and a paid antivirus, Malwarebytes. I have 2 ASUS routers RT-AC68U.

Does updating the firmware possibly solve this problem?

Thank you,

Anthony 7911

Great
Aug 12, 2022
Hello there, most security cameras only have audio and video-related services, and they are all encrypted, so no one can see this information except you. Besides, the security camera is incapable of uploading any information or software, let alone downloading the software from your computers.

Hope this can help you answer your doubt.

philroe

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Thank you very much for your insight here.
I guess my concern was the news re Hauwei using networking equipment to create back doors that allow security information to be skimmed.

There is a big industry of companies designed to prevent malware and ransomware on computers themselves (inc VPN services). In an email chat with my router OEM, ASUS, the response was no one has complained about it yet so there they didn't consider it an issue.
https://www.avast.com/c-router-malware this link seems to confirm but directs people to its own product which doesn't mention routers.
Is there a company or forum so I can pursue this deeper?

USAFRet

Illustrious
Much has been written about Huawei, a Chinese networking company. I want to purchase a web camera to view something innocent in my garage that's running (3D printer). I'm thinking of purchasing a WiFi camera manufactured in China by blurams (though it could be any Chinese company).

The device connects to my router WiFi directly. Should I be concerned or am I paranoid to think this device may upload malware and steal my important passwords as it passes through my router? IE can it download a keylogger or some such malware onto my router bypassing the anti-virus anti malware on my various computers?

I have Windows Defender and a paid antivirus, Malwarebytes. I have 2 ASUS routers RT-AC68U.

Does updating the firmware possibly solve this problem?

Thank you,
If you're concerned about one of those cameras, why not something from another company? Logitech, for instance.

What is special about this particular webcam?

philroe

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
good question
most commercial cameras are USB (maybe bluetooth) and need a laptop or long cable to your desktop. It connects through the computer that has ample protection via Microsoft and my malware detector.

I have a 3D printer in my garage and want to see the progress and be ready if the print fails (i'm 2 floors up). A WIFI or IP camera, connects directly to the router wirelessly and bypasses the defenses on my Windows computer (could be the same for Apple).

I don't see where Logitech offers an IP camera. Baby camera might work but they come with a dedicated monitor (which may be my solution). Unknown 3rd party vendors manufacturers are mostly located in Asia and, tho they may be fine, I was hopeing someone here would give me confidence that they cannot pass a recorder of my passwords sitting on the router.

I would get logitech or V-tech even, if it was available on Amazon. The ones offered have names i don't know.

Thanks for the suggestion

Reactions: Anthony 7911

USAFRet

Illustrious
Ok, I thought you were looking at the webcam to video/record the print in progress.
Not view from afar.

There are any number of WiFi cameras, from reputable companies.
For instance, this Reolink:

I have other Reolink security cameras, and they are great.

Anthony 7911

Great
Aug 12, 2022
Checked blurams Amazon page for you, and most customer reviews indicate that this company is solid and they do offer good-quality cameras, which are about $40. Also, you could always go for other camera manufacturers like Arlo, Ring, etc.

And I found out that this camera is NO.3 in the Amazon dome camera.
Amazon.com : Security Camera 2K, blurams Baby Monitor Dog Camera 360-degree for Home Security w/ Smart Motion Tracking, Phone App, IR Night Vision, Siren, Works with Alexa & Google Assistant & IFTTT, 2-Way Audio : Electronics