Question about adding subwoofer to Microlab Solo9C

uriel250

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
Does anyone know if I can add a subwoofer to my Microlab Solo9C ?
How do I connect the subwoofer to the speakers ? My speakers are connected to my computer with optical cable, can I connect the sub with RCA or COAX ? Or something else ? how can I connect the subwoofer to my speakers ?

uriel250

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015

Which amp I need ?
Whats the differnce between amp and receiver ? Dont I need receiver ? So I will connect the opitcal cable to the receiver -> then from receiver to speakers and sub, or am I wrong ?
I will probably buy a Klipsch sub woofer, which has built in amp, so how can I connect my speakers and sub ? With spertate amp or receiver ?

clarkjd

Distinguished

For the purposes of getting sound from your computer to the speakers, there is no difference between an amp or a receiver. In my example, you would connect your Microlab system to the output of your PC, then using the HDMI output from your Microlab to the HDMI input of an amp/receiver, then the output of your amp/receiver to your subwoofer. If the Klipsch will accept a HDMI input, then you wouldn't need a separate amp/receiver. That's the main issue with adding a subwoofer to the Microlab system, it does not have an audio output to attach the subwoofer to, only the HDMI output.

uriel250

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015

Can you link amp from ebay/Amazon UK/US/DE that have HDMI input ?
Someone from another forum suggested me to buy another soundcard, what do you think ? Amp or soundcard ?

If your PC doesn't have separate green (for the solo9c) and orange (for the sub) analog audio outputs then you can get a soundcard that does. The DACs in the speakers aren't going to be better than the ones in a decent or even cheap card so likely the quality will improve. Set to 2.1 it removes bass from the speakers so they can play louder and sound clearer. It also sends bass to the sub which can be adjusted to the room and your taste.

uriel250

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015

After researching a little bit more, my motherboard has a decent built in soundcard with some "protection" n stuff, you can see more details on Asus site https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/
It supports multi streaming and some more things, pretty good, it has a C/Sub jack and Rear and Front audio jacks, usually when I used to connect my speakers with RCA I connected them to the middle upper jack which is "Rear" jack.

Optical cable can not work with another analog port (pretty sure), I have no problem switching again to RCA on my speakers.

And I got one more question before going ahead and ordering the sub - From what I understood there are two options to connect the sub and speakers together, buy a spliiter like this https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Speake...dp_ob_title_ce
then connect both (sub + speakers) with RCA to Aux cables, or use RCA to Aux with speakers only and use another SINGLE RCA Cable (Or coax cable ? Please tell me which) directly to LFE connector on the subwoofer ?

Which option would work the best ?

uriel250

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
One more option is to connect the subwoofer with RCA (Red and White on the sub) to Coax and then connect it to the C/Sub connectiong on the motherboard, or it won't work ?
And I heared that I wont be able to adjust the "Hz" on the sub knob in case I use a single coax cable to the C/Sub jack on the motherboard, so it means that the sub will adjust himself automatically with the music being played ?