Question about TPM

wimzikel

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
Hi there I need to get a new laptop for my work and I'm looking at the HP probook 450 g3/8gb/500sshd. I chose this one because the Trusted Platform Module is present, which is a requirement for my work.

I'm definitely going to be replacing the harddrive with SSD though and I'm just wondering if TPM will work with that. I'm not sure if TPM has anything to do with harddrives but I just need to be sure about this before I order the laptop as I won't able to return it and I think that the harddrive that it comes with will be a bit slow for my purposes.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
TPM is typically a chip install in the laptop specifically to encrypt data. My guess is that the hard drive / SSD has no bearing whether or not a system is TPM compliant. The TPM chip would encrypt data as it is written to whatever storage device you are using and it would decrypt the data read from the HDD / SSD.

My guess is that the encryption key is randomly generated by the TPM chip so that data can only be read from the HDD / SSD by that specific laptop since it's TPM chip would have the decryption key.

The best advice is to speak with your IT department. I am pretty sure you can simply install any HDD / SSD you want since Googling "TPM compliant SSD" yields no tangible results.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from wimzikel : "Trusted Platform Module with SSD"

TPM is typically a chip install in the laptop specifically to encrypt data. My guess is that the hard drive / SSD has no bearing whether or not a system is TPM compliant. The TPM chip would encrypt data as it is written to whatever storage device you are using and it would decrypt the data read from the HDD / SSD.

My guess is that the encryption key is randomly generated by the TPM chip so that data can only be read from the HDD / SSD by that specific laptop since it's TPM chip would have the decryption key.

The best advice is to speak with your IT department. I am pretty sure you can simply install any HDD / SSD you want since Googling "TPM compliant SSD" yields no tangible results.

Solution